Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:25:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: My Beta Spyder finally has a home!  (Read 35460 times)
Duncan23

« on: October 24, 2010, 05:10:57 PM »

She's been sat under covers on my driveways for 4 whole years and moved 3 times on the back of a transporter.  Now she has a garage all I need to do is fix her. I see much welding in my future!

I had to tidy the garage before I could fit her in there. With that done, the only way to push her into the garage was to lean gently on her with my other car!  The only way she'll be getting back out of there is under her own steam (and after I've freed the rear calipers).

I couldn't get pictures to work, but there are a couple on flickr here:
http://flic.kr/p/8MCFmu

I guess I'll be reading the Haynes avidly from now on. The first job is to pull the fuel tank (there seems to be a small leak Shocked ) After that I'll either be practising my welding or stripping the interior etc...

Cheers
Duncan
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:11:22 PM by Duncan23 » Logged
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 06:24:34 PM »

Looks to be about as roomy as my garage ! Good luck with it  - I know exactly how you feel as mine is very nearly back on the road itself after two years !

Re dropping the tank  - it's held on by four captive studs. The two nearest the front of the car are the ones you really don't want becoming un-captive as AFAIK there's no access to them. The two at the rear you can get to from (intentional) holes in the boot floor.

Whereabouts are you based ?
Duncan23

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 09:24:41 PM »

I'm Oxford based. I've not been active online or going to any meets because until I got the garage there was nothing happening, and I also have a 1 year old daughter!
This year I'll be able to work on the car, and also come to some meets (maybe in the Spyder, tho I expect it to take 2 years).
Cheers
Duncan
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 10:20:07 PM »

Well at least you'll have someone that will actually fit in the back seats !

My daughter (3) shows remarkable taste in that the Spider is the only car she likes to play in. Mind she has slowed the project a little.

Stuart
Duncan23

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 06:42:57 PM »

That is good taste. Smiley
Have you added seatbelts in the back? How does that work? Thinking about that sort of stuff is getting ahead of myself, but you gotta think about these things. 
Cheers Duncan
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 07:30:14 PM »

Your spider should have mounting points for static three point belts. The points are on the rear wheelarch (that's what the removable panles in the rear trims are for) , under the parcel shelf and in the centre bottom of the rear bulkhead. 

What I havent worked out jet is how to fit inertia reel ones - I suspect this might be tricky.

Stuart
rossocorsa
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 08:43:45 PM »

I guess I'll be reading the Haynes avidly from now on.

don't rely on the  Haynes too much, like all haynes manuals it is only an adequate approximation, there have been a few proper Beta manuals on ebay lately that went quite cheaply.Well keeping a look out and investing in as even though they only cover first series cars they are very detailed and most things are applicable to later series. A proper Beta technical data book is a must too
Duncan23

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »

I'll keep my eyes open on ebay then.

Slight change of plan on what to do first - I don't even have enough space to lie down behind the car, so I'll free the rear brakes up before I do anything else. Note at this stage they don't have to work properly, just not bind!
Jacking up 1 corner will be an interesting experiment in hovw knackered the underneath really is!

After that I can get on with the fuel tank, welding etc and create some space when necessary by pushing the nose out of the garage a couple of feet!

Cheers
Duncan
Duncan23

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 07:36:59 PM »

I tried to undo the wheel nuts before work today, and I broke the socket part of the wheel wrench! Shocked

So no update so far, but I now have a serious breaker bar and a quality 1/2 inch socket, and I also applied some penetrating fluid to the back wheel nuts.

Cheers
Duncan
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 05:22:32 PM »

You can always stick a bit of scaffold pole over the end of the breaker bar if that doesn't work.
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »

Time to invest in some copperslip
 Grin Grin

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Duncan23

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 08:31:40 PM »

This morning I loosened the wheel nuts (the breaker bar was great), jacked the back up, stuck the stands under the sills and left it for tomorrow.
At lunchtime I got a phone call saying the house smelt of petrol! Shocked

The rubber hose between the fuel tand and the filler pipe has a huge split in it. So I put the car back on the ground and sucked the petrol out of the tank with a pump I bought for exactly that purpose.

I guess my first actual task will be pulling the fuel tank as I originally thought.  Roll Eyes
I'll do that on the weekend, the coppaslip will have to wait until next week.

I have noticed some alarming holes in the floor while looking at the fuel tank - I'll post some pictures when I get a chance to take them!

Cheers
Duncan
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »

Boot floor holes are standard issue.

Not too serious so long as the arches and rear chassis rails are OK.

Stuart
Duncan23

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »

I think the main big hole I can see from the back is in the floor under the back seats.  The arches seem ok, and I think the turrets (front and back) have been repaired properly previously. There is some real rust under the fuel fiiller flap and also on the roll over hoop, and the floor and sills look like they need some attention, so I will definitely need to do some welding.

Gotta sort out the fuel tank and the the back brakes before I even start stripping the interior/practising welding tho.

Cheers
Duncan
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 10:16:40 PM »

Hi Duncan

I can fully sympathise with you as I have just been through a similar process, main difference being that I farmed out the repair work to some local guys. If it helps I have some pics of the repair work undertaken on the LMC forum here

http://www.lancia.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3359.0

Also there is a useful writeup by hongkongphooey on this site here

http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=572.0

If you need any specific help, feelfree to get in touch

Peter
07977 532320

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Duncan23

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 11:24:50 PM »

Hi Peter

That is an awesome thread. You and hongkongphoey are inspirational.  Smiley

I'm planning on doing the work myself for cost reasons, though I hope it will be enjoyable and educational as well. I went on a course with contour autocraft a year or 2 ago, so I have an idea of what amazing things you can do with a hammer and a sheet of steel, though it will take a huge amount of practise before I can get anywhere near creating the sort of repair panels shown in your thread.I just hope I can make the time to do it.

Thanks for your offer of help. I imagine I will be asking for help on here over the next couple of years! I'm just trying to imagine what it will be like to finally drive it.  Smiley I need to come to some meetings next year to see some of these cars in the metal.

Cheers
Duncan
thecolonel
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 12:48:08 AM »

It may be something you've thought of, or done before, but I'd start collecting margarine tubs,
you'll probably need quite a few.  I mark them up for each area of the car front/rear/left/right.
It's surprising how many small pieces can get mislaid when you're taking things apart.

Geoff
Duncan23

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 10:39:17 PM »

I have a fair amount of penny shop tupperware and quite a few tins and jars. I even started writing some software to connect the objects, the pictures, the disassembly process, and the locations (I got bored so it's not exactly useful, and it's total overkill, so I doubt I'll finish it)!

It would probably be a good idea to put some new shelves up to hold parts, but there's not much usable wall space.

I sorted out the fuel pipe problem temporarily this morning.  Smiley

I atached before and after pictures - before is after I poked it with a screwdriver (I didn't lengthen it tho, it really was this long).  I'll pull the fuel tank this weekend, though I'm not too sure of the best way to store it.

The forum seems to be flipping my before picture on its side - any ideas on how to fix this?

* 20101112_006.jpg (149.29 KB, 1243x987 - viewed 787 times.)

* 20101112_003 (1).jpg (130.55 KB, 1241x961 - viewed 988 times.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:07:21 PM by Duncan23 » Logged
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »

Welcome to the forum Duncan  Smiley
Looks like a nice project, i'll look forward to keeping tracks on your progress.
There's a wealth of knowledge on here, if you have a question someone normally has the answer.

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
Duncan23

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 02:39:15 PM »

There's good news and bad. 
The good is that the hole I thought was in the floor was actually in the exhaust mid-box.  So I can just bin it and but a new one. Smiley
The bad is that I tried to jack up the rear right wheel at the sill, and there was a cracking noise and a crack appeared (pic below).  Roll Eyes So I put it back down as I didn't want to get under it with it supported by dodgy metal.
I'm wondering if ramps are the best way of getting under it at the mo, or whether the answer is to forget about getting underneath for a while and see if I can strip it and sort the sills etc out first.

To get the tank out without lifting the car I need the backbox off (it's knackered and I have a new one so it's something I needed to do anyway). I had to cut the bolt that mounts the backbox as it was turning within the exhaust and I couldn't get at it. But I couldn't really get at the join with the centre section, so I applied penetrating fluid and I'll give it a go tomorrow.

* 20101114_003 (1).jpg (203.4 KB, 1371x1084 - viewed 764 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: