Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:10:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: BETA BRAKE PADS  (Read 24860 times)
spud

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: October 05, 2010, 04:57:47 PM »

Hi all,
What are folks using for fast road pads these days? I've just tried to order some and I can't find ANYTHING! Tarox UK are out of stock- they're checking in Italy as I type. Red Dot (uk version of Tarox)- discontinued. EBC apparently don't make any 'fast road pads' for Beta, only standard type oem replacement. And even they're discontinued now. Betaboyz don't list any pads at all... Can anyone here suggest anything? I have brand new old stock Tarox discs on my HPE VX (yes, you guessed it- they don't even make the discs anymore!) and I want some pads with a bit of bite and no fade so I can enjoy the twisty bits we have in abundance round here. I thought I'd just have to type it into Google and take my pick! Wasn't I disappointed...?!

Any suggestions?
Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
mark

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 05:35:42 PM »

Hi Andrew, give Brakes International a try in Rochdale,Lancashire. They stock standard pads and they maybe able to get something made up for you. Good Luck Mark.
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:28:56 PM »

Andrew

ebay is awash with beta pads including EBC Greenstuff. I ordered Tarox ones with info from Mark Wastnidge.

Cheers

Eric
spud

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:11:37 PM »

Andrew

ebay is awash with beta pads including EBC Greenstuff.

Cheers

Eric

No it isn't! None whatsoever because EBC don't make 'em. There are EBC Ultimax pads on ebay but they are standard pads, not uprated. The rest of the ebay pads are cheap n cheerful standard pads.

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 10:12:19 PM »

I also found it hard to find standard fitment (fast road/race) pads, managed to source some fast road tarox pads in the end, i'll look into what company got them for me, it was over a year ago though and I had to wait a couple of weeks...
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=964418a8234b665dba5a9fe6659510a2&topic=472.msg1515#msg1515

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 10:21:52 PM »

http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=162088
Think I may have ordered these, and then sent me tarox instead as there was such a wait on them Undecided

also...
http://www.mintex-uk.com/framefix.asp?ProductCode=TRX-0075.112&PID=767377
http://www.mintex-uk.com/framefix.asp?ProductCode=RD-XE755&PID=131338
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:25:10 PM by lanciamad » Logged

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
spud

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 10:13:15 AM »

Marcus, there's an even longer wait now on the Red Dot pads- they're NLA. There's no Tarox Beta pads in stock anywhere in the country that I can find so I've ordered direct from Tarox UK for £64 Shocked. They'd better be good...

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
rossocorsa
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 09:24:01 PM »

Marcus, there's an even longer wait now on the Red Dot pads- they're NLA. There's no Tarox Beta pads in stock anywhere in the country that I can find so I've ordered direct from Tarox UK for £64 Shocked. They'd better be good...

Andrew.

Can't think that red dot is such a loss if I remember correctly didn't they start out as a sort of cheap copy of tarox hence the use of the red dot?
spud

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 09:49:15 PM »

Can't think that red dot is such a loss if I remember correctly didn't they start out as a sort of cheap copy of tarox hence the use of the red dot?

If I recall correctly they started out as UK distributors for Tarox, then decided to go it alone with their own products which were remarkably similar to Tarox products... except, as you said, cheaper. A lot cheaper. Were they inferior or were they just priced more honestly... who knows? I do feel £64 is a lot of money for fast road pads when EBC Green Stuff are waaayyy cheaper for most of the cars I looked at. But as EBC only make standard replacement pads for the Beta they obviously don't think we have fast cars... Angry Actually I should've said 'made' not 'make' as they don't even bother any more...

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 07:58:19 PM »

Andrew

I stand corrected. I will probably sell off the car set of Tarox Fast Road pads, new calipers, drilled discs, braided hoses etc when I have finished the brake upgrade work as they will never cope with the tuned VX engine.

Progress is slow, but at least I now have all the engine parts for the build.

Cheers

Eric
spud

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 10:28:40 PM »

...the tuned VX engine.
Progress is slow, but at least I now have all the engine parts for the build.

Eric,
I'm looking forward to reading all about it! The most I'll probably do is fit a more suitable carb (i.e. one that doesn't strangle the engine) and a straight(ish) through stainless exhaust. I already have a nos CSC tubular manifold/downpipe fitted so I'm on the way...
Any suggestions on the carb?
Just how far are you going with your mods Eric?

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »

Dear All,

Did we get an answer to this question? I ask as I am also in the market for something a lot better than standard. I can find drilled and slotted discs, but the best pad I can find is EBC green stuff AKA STD pads !!!

I am willing to pay.....(within reason!!)
rossocorsa
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »

don't bother with green stuff had those on our MG TF not much good recently changed to bog standard jurid pads and difference is chalk and cheese wife complained that are brakes are now too good !! Shocked ??
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »

Pardon my ignorance, but are Beta style pads used on any other vehicles; for instance other Lancias or even other makes? I had a forlorn hope that PFC (Performance Friction Corporation) in the US might make pads for Betas, but they don't appear to.

They do, however list pads for the Stratos...!  Go figure...

I thought of PFC as I use them on motorbikes I own and they are superb pads.

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »

The rear pads are shared with some Renault Espace models.

The front pads appear to be unique. BUT

A number of fiat group cars used very simiar bendix calipers and looking at the catalogue there are a number of pds that should fit though they are not an exact match.

Beta pads are shown as 108x53x17mm. Fiat Strada TC pads for example are 108x49x15 but it's not clear whether the 4mm comes from the inner or outer edge of the pad. The only way to know for sure would be to trial fit a set.

Also shown in the catalogue is that some Trevis had Girling calipers - can anyone confirm this? If correct then these were fitted to a much wider range of Fiat group cars  - all you'd need to do is find a pair of Girling Calipers for a Trevi  Wink
rossocorsa
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 10:25:05 PM »

When I've time I'll check the Trevi microfiche but I think it is most likely a typical after market listing error
rossocorsa
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »

Front

Rear

in my experience not all Beta compatible after market pads are exactly the same size some have a smaller contact area and are probably not exactly right for a Beta will fit but will obviously have reduced braking power and will result in horrid narrow rusty strips on your discs.   
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 11:02:56 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
Grundo

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »

Guys most motorsport places will know of somewhere that will relign a standard set of brake pads with a different/better compound. I've had a place put a mintex compound on mine, I've talked to other shops who can also do this with other compounds etc.

Nothing good is standard...
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 11:32:22 PM »

When I've time I'll check the Trevi microfiche but I think it is most likely a typical after market listing error

Most likeley - but it would be interesting to see if the Girling calipers from a Delta / Dedra fitted the Beta.
rossocorsa
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 08:46:18 AM »

don't think they would fit remember the beta is superduplex, that does lead to the question could you fit 4 pot calipers for instance AP racing such as fitted to the MG TF, no forget that what about fulvia front calipers
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:47:49 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: