Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:19:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: maybe some progress......  (Read 46380 times)
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »

Because I have just got the Volumetrico Montecarlo running I can send you the diagnostic document I stepped through which includes the 130 TC cam timing and the swing positions I marked as well.
Let me know if you would like some light reading Shocked

Eric
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »

Not sure how much use it will be rather depends whether I can get my head around it it not, but yes would be interested. Haven't touched the engine for a few weeks, too many other unimportant things to do such as unsuccessfully helping Alla shop for shoes for Julia's wedding (most of a day standing around back creaking in meadowhall)  Angry
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2014, 09:33:16 PM »

Had a really close look at the rebuilt head that I was given with the car .....12 or so years ago. Lovely shiny new exhaust valves etc. sadly whoever fitted the valve guides cracked the surrounding head material on one valve, why I never noticed that before I suppose I kind of assumed someone competent had done the job. Anyway so today spent stripping another head also supposedly refurbished at some time but not a fresh rebuild, not too bad although a couple of stem seals were split probably when they were fitted? will fit all new ones anyway.

rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2014, 11:43:43 PM »

More grief apparently this head had new valve guides fitted and they do look quite clean and recent however the valve stem to guide fit is well erm shall we say generous.........
Original head has corrosion on number 1 so onto the unknown scruffy looking spare stripped it down looks original untouched and valve guides have much tighter tolerances just a lot of old carbon build up to deal with...fingers crossed!
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #84 on: June 16, 2014, 04:49:51 PM »

Getting fed up now, cleaned the final head up a bit and I still think that valve guide to valve stem fit isn't great I may have to admit defeat as I can't afford to pay for professional work. It is well beyond both my technical capabilities and my available facilities as well as the cost of new parts to think about. Time to tidy up the garage and leave it alone for a while......
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #85 on: June 16, 2014, 07:01:25 PM »

If you want a set of new valve guides FOC that I have no use for let me know.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #86 on: June 16, 2014, 11:17:51 PM »

If you want a set of new valve guides FOC that I have no use for let me know.

Thanks off the offer, I'm going to leave it for a while. I spent the rest of the day tidying the garage up a little so at least it is relatively clean and now I can turn around without knocking stuff of the shelves! Because I am learning as I go along the rebuild isn't very relaxing, I checked my pile of stuff and I do seem to have the special tool for removing/fitting the guides still a scary process though and the originals appear  to have come in several size grades.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:35:11 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2014, 10:50:31 AM »

Looks like I will have to get one of the heads refurbished, as the damaged rebuilt head looks to have new valves I am thinking to remove them to use in another head as if new guides are fitted the seats will probably need to be recut anyway. As I understand it (?) replacement guides are supplied oversize so getting the right oversize is the first question especially if the guides have already been replaced once. Then once fitted the guides need to be reamed to a perfect fit for the valve stems definitely a job for proper engineers, if someone truly reliable can be found that is! Can't really go down the GC route as his work is superb but bearing in mind my very limited budget I don't need his level of attention to detail on a road car.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2014, 07:17:20 PM »

Don't know if it is just to put off time wasters but the last time I looked the GC website said that they no longer rebuilt 'standard' engines?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:15:10 PM by Neil-yaj396 » Logged
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #89 on: June 21, 2014, 10:02:08 PM »

I think GC will do many tasks but only to his precise standards so basically he doesn't do stuff like reusing old pistons etc.
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2014, 01:17:18 AM »

I wouldn't stress too much about valve fit with the standard type cams you are using, the risk of them hitting each other on overlap is pretty smalI. I hillclimbed a 2 litre with well knackered valve guides (with race cams), as I was in your situation a few years back and that engine is still in one piece.....How much play do you have?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2014, 08:19:35 AM »

Difficult to measure but I reckon about double the max on some cylinders. The valve stems measure ok but are close to the minimum
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 09:43:01 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2014, 11:02:22 PM »

Been doing a bit of component juggling and might have found a solution with a bit of fettling.......

Also been in the process of fitting a betaboyz sump baffle kit with help from Steve Thompson on welding etc. terrible fit needed lots of adjustment but I think it is nearly sorted now. If the head assembles ok next it will be cams and carriers then final engine assembly and a lot of head scratching over cam timing.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #93 on: July 20, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »

Checking valve seal after lapping, very rudimentary but it'll have to do!

« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 09:26:03 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2014, 05:50:25 PM »

Don't worry about the aux pulley timing it's had the lobe removal modification
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 05:54:12 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2014, 06:56:50 PM »

Supercharger rear bearings and seals removed plus the channels that vent to the scavenger pump cleaned out

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:05:30 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #96 on: April 25, 2015, 08:50:27 PM »

Just a note to say that whilst there isn't much progress I am still intending to get the car finished eventually. Had a lot of work and personal issues lately so I haven't been very motivated but anyway Steve Thompson keeps trying to encourage me so I've done a little bit of work on the engine and I hope the garage is going to be tidied up enough to get the engine and box reunited on the subframe and then see if it will actually fire up before work recommences on the bodyshell (cleaning down and seam sealing welds, some very minor repairs around the windscreen and strip to bare metal are things that come to mind).
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2016, 08:51:13 PM »

Engine mated to gearbox with new clutch etc. And onto subframe. First work done in ages!
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2016, 08:54:00 PM »

« Last Edit: September 04, 2016, 09:02:52 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
lbcoupe76

Australia Australia

« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2016, 01:40:23 AM »

Nice, that must feel great to get to this stage.

1976 Beta coupe 1800 "Kermette"
1975 Beta coupe 1800 x 2
1974 Beta Berlina 1800
1989 Thema i.e turbo
1988 Thema i.e turbo
Fiat 1500

Smoke me a Kipper i'll be back for breakfast
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: