Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:08:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: volumex)  (Read 3284 times)
rayost

« on: August 20, 2010, 01:14:54 PM »

I'm new to this place and I guess I'll learn to use the forum as i go. I am setting out to put a Volumex engine in my 76 Coupe. The car was built for tarmac rallying and has always been a bit low on power. (no one complains of too much power, do they). Thought Volumex might be the answer. Problem at the moment is acquiring lancia Volumex cams or at least a knowledge of what the angles are. These shouln't have overlap like normally aspiro as you don't want to loose the compressed charge out of the exhaust valves. I think the Volumex exhaust side cam shaft has the gear for the distributor drive on it. I'd like to know if this was always true for Volumex.
Next issue is to acquire volumex head gasket. I have the others but not the special one for the head. Can anyone comment on this lot.
Rayost,  Melbourne, Australia
rossocorsa
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 11:37:08 PM »

I'm a bit confused what VX bits do you have already? It's not so simple ideally you'd need a complete engine as a lot of internal bits differ, lower compression, stronger parts etc.. oh and bigger valves which I think are sodium filled on exhaust side. I think you'd be better to tune what you have new carb, cams and inlet manifold. As regards cam all Beta VX had the dizzy drive on the cam but I think Fiat RWD variations like Argenta VX and Pininfarina Europa Spider VX were different. For best power I believe most folks use a NA inlet cam (Fiat Ritmo/Strada 130tc or Beta 2.0ie) and a VX exhaust cam. A dcoe mounted on a custom inlet manifold direct to the blower seems the preferred high power choice with a standard inlet manifold you'd need a dcnf but due to the limitations of the manifold this will compromise ultimate power, to fit a dcoe you need a new radiator moved to one side this will release space in the engine bay at the slam panel area so that the carb will fit (sort of! it is still quite tight once you've sorted an air filter)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 11:49:35 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 08:15:19 AM »

Rayost

I agree with the last post very strongly and I am building a Fuel Injected VX engine using the bigger Volumetrico 037 supercharger. I am using a Guy Croft 3A cam inlet VX OE Exhaust. You will need new forged pistons and rods for racing these engines. I strongly suggest you urgently buy Guy Croft's comprehansive new book before you spend any more money. Google Guy Croft Racing Engines.

Built well these are supurb engines, but they get put in higher cc race clases and you will have to use lower compression pistons or it will detonate (melt). I have never in 15 years seen an aftermarket oversize cast VX piston so forged parts are your only option with all original bore pistons in very well used state.

Eric 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: