Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:53:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: anti roll bar bushes and shims  (Read 5067 times)
rossocorsa
« on: August 18, 2010, 11:17:57 PM »

attempting to put the rear anti-roll bar back on, can anyone tell me the exact function of the four shims described as thrust washers that fit along with the bushes that mount to the floor pan (late type ARB design)?  They are rather odd things in that they are oval in shape and each has a small hole at the pointy end (what's that for??). I am fitting the ARB back using polybushes should these washers still be fitted and if so is it one either side of each complete bush or, as advised by Steve Thompson who says his VX is this way two shims on the inner edge of each bush? (which seems even more illogical). I have lots of Beta literature but nothing is conclusive and most data refers to the earlier ARB style  
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 11:25:47 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
thecolonel
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 11:38:05 PM »

looking in my parts book (Gamma has same/similar set-up) the oval plates go each side
of the bush and hang down so that the small hole is at the bottom.

Geoff
rossocorsa
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 11:50:57 PM »

looking in my parts book (Gamma has same/similar set-up) the oval plates go each side
of the bush and hang down so that the small hole is at the bottom.

Geoff

that's how it appears in the series 2FL parts book as well but Steve is adamant that his ARB has never been off his immaculate VX (he's had the car over 20 years) and on that car they are both fitted to one side of each bush! To get my head fully around this I'd love to know why they are the shape they are and why the small holes as well then it may well all make sense, surely if they were just a shim they'd simply be round?? 
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »

I took pictures of mine when I removed it so I'd know where they went. Both shims are on the inside side of the bush

I have no idea why they're that shape either. But they'd make great tie down points for shipping the car by sea or transporter.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 09:10:13 AM by HFStuart » Logged
thecolonel
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 11:59:58 AM »

Well you have to remember : they're Lancias :

I once lifted the carpet on an HPE and found 3 accelerator springs
and I found 6 of the tiny trim screws under the carpet on the Gamma (quite useful as I'd lost a couple)
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 06:09:54 PM »

thanks folks, mystery of exact function remains though....
rachaeljf

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 11:24:55 PM »

May I suggest this?...

Fiat X1/9s (and I presume Montecarlos) use shims either side of the rear wishbone inner mounts to adjust for manufacturing/assembly tolerances in the mounting brackets and wishbones. When you remove the wishbones you are supposed to note how many shims are fitted each side of the wishbone bushes so that when it goes back together the suspension geometry is maintained. When you reassemble the wishbones, these shims are a sod to get back into place. Now, if they had shims with little tabs on them, and even better with holes in the tabs so you can tie them together, they would be far easier to work with!

So, maybe the tabs are provided for easier assembly?

Cheers R
rossocorsa
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 08:10:15 AM »

it sounds sensible however the washers on betas seem a bit thick to be adjustment shims and always seem to be in twos on the inner side of the bush, anyone got them fitted any differently??
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: