Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:53:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Lancia Beta Spyder (77 or 78)  (Read 38265 times)
hongkongphooey

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 12:02:55 AM »

The standard system was toast,but even if it wasn't,it comes too far back before it turns the width of the car for where i want it to exit,so custom system it is. Cheaper than a standard one too,with less back pressure. Grin

And yes,they're perfectly legal....Caterhams,Dodge Viper,Trucks,Vans and Coaches have them. Smiley
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 10:22:26 AM »

The fact that they are allowed does make me laugh, I was questioned instantly about my original tailpipe due to me removing the bumpers as it could be a potential trip hazzard (Why would you need to walk that close to the car), but it's fine and legal to have a boiling hot silencer running along the side of a caterham for example.
Anyway, should be pretty cool, cant say i've seen one on a Beta yet, I know someone that is planning on doing the same Lips Sealed (Not me) Be interesting to see how it effects your idle and acceleration at low revs.

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
hongkongphooey

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 10:53:50 AM »

It's not going to be a massive system,probably just 2" and silenced with a 24" cherry bomb.,similar to my Corona (but that's full length) That still behaves nicely on low revs,but whether the twin carbs on the Spyder will make a difference we'll see.
Pete

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 07:11:06 PM »

With regard to the legality of an exhaust system I understand it as:

it must not leak at any point within the entire length of the system;

the exit point for the gases must be beyond the periphery of the vehicle body and;

it must not exceed current noise regulations.
lbcoupe76

Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2010, 05:08:39 AM »

You certainly are a talented man, great job so far can't wait to see more progress it's very inspirational. I wish i knew how to weld well enough to do that, i'm great on the spanners but suck on the welder.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 02:33:26 PM by lbcoupe76 » Logged

1976 Beta coupe 1800 "Kermette"
1975 Beta coupe 1800 x 2
1974 Beta Berlina 1800
1989 Thema i.e turbo
1988 Thema i.e turbo
Fiat 1500

Smoke me a Kipper i'll be back for breakfast
hongkongphooey

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2010, 01:45:41 PM »

You certainly are a talented man, great job so far can't wait to see more progress it's very inspirational. I wish i knew how to weld well enough to do that, i great on the spanners but suck on the welder.

Thanks fella.....just buy a welder and practise.That's all i did. Smiley
lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 11:52:48 PM »

Loving the latest progress you've made on the car (on retro-rides), I also tried the four adjustable arms idea, with some turnbuckles, everything was perfect apart from the size of tubing available unfortunately, even the biggest available to me wasn't strong enough in the end. The way you've done it should be fine, I just don't trust my welding to do it like that Cheesy So i've got another pair of adjustable arms all with poly bushes which should do the job nicely, hopefully.
I've been having an attempt at welding the floor of mine, have a look and see what you think, it's on the blog. By the look of it your spyder had 4 fixed arms fitted? Undecided It shouldn't have, nor the HPE strut body Cheesy Not sure all the work with the water connection was necesary, could you have not just cut the strut part above the platform including the threaded part, remove the mm's difference and re-weld Huh?
Very good work anyway, you certainly keep busy, starting to put me to shame! Wink
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:54:35 PM by lanciamad » Logged

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
rossocorsa
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2010, 09:04:46 AM »

By the look of it your spyder had 4 fixed arms fitted? Undecided It shouldn't have,
actually lancia changed the arm layout to fixed pressed arms with eccentric fixing bolts for adjustment so those arms will be right, they later seem to have changed back to using two pressed and two adjustable arms on later cars I'll put my anorak on now!! Grin
lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »

Ahh I see,  Lips Sealed

hongkongphooey

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 08:40:27 PM »

Judging by how weak the pressed arms are,i can't imagine having to have anything that beefy to do the job. I didn't realise some already had adjustable arms.

Not sure all the work with the water connection was necesary, could you have not just cut the strut part above the platform including the threaded part, remove the mm's difference and re-weld Huh?

The unit i'm canabalising didn't have a threaded part....it was completely sealed.

Thanks for your comments anyway.....i do like to crack on!  Grin
rossocorsa
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 11:32:26 PM »

Judging by how weak the pressed arms are,i can't imagine having to have anything that beefy to do the job. I didn't realise some already had adjustable arms.

Not sure all the work with the water connection was necesary, could you have not just cut the strut part above the platform including the threaded part, remove the mm's difference and re-weld Huh?

The unit i'm canabalising didn't have a threaded part....it was completely sealed.

Thanks for your comments anyway.....i do like to crack on!  Grin

as regards arms it's all bit bit odd and difficult to comprehend lancias thinking (as with most things italian) AFAIK very early cars had fabricated arms one fixed and one adjustable on each side of the car they later changed to a system with all pressed arms that superficially appear fixed and non adjustable but in fact they were connected by a fancy bolt system that could be rotated to adjust the  toe in/out I guess this is what your car had as it looks like a series 2 pre facelift (Huh?) at some time later (no idea when) they seem to have adopted a hybrid version with fixed pressed arms and one adjustable per side just the usual Italian madness you'll get used to it never assume something will be the same as another car of the apparently same parentage!!

thinking about it I suspect that the pressed arm option with eccentric bolts probably gives the best unsprung weight although it maybe looks the least well engineered
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 09:21:08 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
hongkongphooey

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2010, 06:10:33 PM »

Hmmm....i'll have to have a closer look at the bolt system. I didn't notice anything like that when i tore it apart. There were some teardrop shaped washers on the arb body mounts though which didn't seem to do anything  Undecided

And yes,they are very lightweight,and probably only weak when they're forced to go in a direction they were not designed to go in,like mine have been!
rossocorsa
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 07:16:27 PM »

this should explain it

hongkongphooey

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »

Oh i see......someone has totally replaced those bolts on mine.

Thanks for posting that.
Martiniracing

« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 07:54:27 PM »

Good job!
I'm curious to see your side exit exhaust!
A+
hongkongphooey

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2010, 07:17:29 PM »

I'm curious to see your side exit exhaust!

Thanks...so am i! Cheesy

Updates...

It's been a while since the last update but i've got plenty of faffing done along with some bigger stuff.

I decided on the seats,a standard set of early tan seats,so I was able to weld the seat mounts back in,then paint up everywhere i'd welded so far...it looks something like this,quite black.

Then it was time to remove alll the rear suspension and fuel tank to overhaul it and check and sort the rest of the rust.

Here's some random dismantled/painted etc suspension pics

Odly....the two grey rear struts you can see in this pic are different sizes....I think one is off an HPE and one off a Coupe.So i'm going to have to source a matching pair. Or get medieval on it and improvise

Then after what seems like forever with a chisel chipping off the 6" of underseal,i found the rust I thought was lurking and chopped it out,ready for cleaning up and welding some fresh in.

View from the rear wheel well.

From underneath

And from inside the boot showing the panel that the tank filler comes through....still needs hacking.Most of the rust you see is surface rust.....just needs cleaning

hongkongphooey

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 07:18:15 PM »

Bit more done...

hongkongphooey

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2010, 07:19:15 PM »

Finished all the welding from the front bulkhead back now

Al done with a covering of rust paint ready for an underside soaking in waxoil

I also made a steel box for the battery sunk in the boot because I like the extra space in the engine bay.

I decided to make a strut brace for the rear out of box tube

To be attatched to the 3 brackeds I welded in. One on each strut turret and one on top of the chassis rail. You can just about see them on this pic

Painted and hung up to dry

hongkongphooey

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2010, 07:19:58 PM »

I've starting chopping up the longer sealed rear strut so I can fit a cartridge like the shorter one.....a pair of kybs are on order,to in the mean time I took a random water connection elbow a had knocking about

Cut it up for the threaded sections

One end now screws into the other

Ready to weld on to the old sealed strut,now with the damper internals removed....i just need the new inserts to get here to determine the length

Remember these rather weedy 4 c section lower suspension arms?

As you can see in the pic,one was bent and all the bushes were knackered. So I took all these little bits I acquired

And welded them together to get 4 adjustable arms for adjustable camber and toe.

Dismantled the rear hubs/brakes for cleaning overhaul and painting too

And de-rusted,painted and stone chipped the fuel tank too

The rear suspension and brakes are nearly all cleaned and painted now,with new bushes,ready for re-fitting after the waxoil fest and tank re-fitting. Just waiting for new pads and the shock inserts.
hongkongphooey

« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2010, 07:20:33 PM »

Boring pic of the fuel tank back in

New shock arrived from Camskill

Which means I could get on with modding the old sealed type strut.

Rear suspension going back in

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: