Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:53:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: need spare carb  (Read 2896 times)
raz1966

« on: March 10, 2012, 01:53:10 PM »

i still cant get my engine to run correct, if i put new plugs in it will start and run perfect but it soots the plugs up, i want to try another carb, i have rebuilt/cleaned mine several times but i think its worn out. has anyone got a spare carb for a 2000 litre coupe?
34 datr
raz1966

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:54:44 PM »

i would like to get it on the road for the 40th year thing in may but its looking like i wont be there. if anyone has rear calipers and a spare carb i will be very happy.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 04:04:44 PM »

Stupid question perhaps but what plugs are you using ?
raz1966

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »

i am using BP6ES, these were what was in it when i got it so i got new BP6ES, are these correct?
in the workshop manual i have it only tells me the bosch,champion or marelli plugs.
i was also wondering about the coil as it is 30 years old but there seems to be a fat spark. maybe i should replace it?

reguarding the carb: is it ok to run without the fuel shut off solinoid? mine works but i am not sure if it is the problem.
when i fit the engine with new plugs it starts straight away and above 2000 rpm it sounds sweet, once warm it comes off the choke and will rev round to 6500 with no problem, but all of a sudden it will sound rough and miss fire. when i take the plugs out they are black and sooted up.
even with new plugs it does seem to be happy at tickover (tickover is erratic and hard to set with the adjustment screw)
although it will tickover the exhaust note sounds wrong at tickover, it sounds like the choke is on even though it is not.
i dont think there is anything mechanical wrong with the engine as when it runs correct it sounds healthy, it has good oil pressure and about 180 psi compression in every cylinder.
there are some fumes coming from the breather but i don't think there is an abnormal amount coming out.
any ideas??
raz1966

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 09:03:01 PM »

i ordered a new bosch coil anyway as it was only £30. also ordered bosch w6d plugs
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 09:42:19 PM »

The plugs are the correct ones.

It does sound as though it's running very rich.

You can run without the solenoid but if you do you must plug the hole with something.
raz1966

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 09:53:10 PM »

can i just take out the plunger from the solinoid and screw the solinoind back in?
what does it do? i know it cuts off the fuel when the engine is turned off. can in make the car run rich?

any other ideas why it is running so rich?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: