Lancia Beta Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:03:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coil replacement and barking mad.  (Read 1656 times)
Rebelrob

« on: April 04, 2023, 10:23:31 AM »

I’ve just put the car on the road after a restoration has been off the road for 25 years so not a lot of history to what was original parts.
The problem I’ve got driving in and out of garage  on problems reeves ok as soon as I tried to run up the drive way incline she starts to bark and splutter under load  she a lancia beta 2 ltr hpe 1981 engine and fitted with twin Weber’s.
I’m booking her in to the rolling road so trying to eliminate as many possibilities before hand.
So I’ve just fitted a fuel pressure regulator as it’s got a electric pump fitted
I’m going to replace the coil but have no reference to which one I need or where to get one help please on that one.
And any suggestions what else I can try.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2023, 08:02:36 AM »

Hi

A few questions.

Did you let it get thoroughly up to temp before this happens?

Did you flush the fuel tank and install new filters, ideally before and after pump?

Have you installed refurb kits for Webers?

Powerspark do a range of coils, depending if you have standard electronic ignition, then I seem to remember the coil has a ballast resistor and the coil resistance is 1.5 ohm, no ballast resistor the coil is normally around 3 ohm.

I am also assuming you have checked idle speed timing of the distributor?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 01:24:20 PM »

Very difficult to diagnose as it could be so many things but my experience is that fuel or air leak problems are much more common than ignition ones  - especially with electronic ignition.  Coils usually fail when they get hot  - not on part throttle openings so maybe try a spare before buying a new one?

Check the basics as Peter suggests, the timing in particular.

Did you rebuild the webers or just put them back on?
Rebelrob

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 09:07:03 AM »

Hi thanks for the information lads, I decided to book her on to a rolling road too get her set up properly for reliability and fuel economy as she got twin webers.
My problem is where I live it’s a steep downward drive and then on to a hill so when you start and if you’ve got a problem your in trouble, as I found out the first time.
I will post when I get the result.
Rob
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: