Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:51:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1st series temp guage  (Read 1219 times)
Jono

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Beta

« on: March 21, 2022, 09:48:32 PM »

Am looking for a series 1 Coupe temperature gauge. Maybe someone has an early instrument cluster they're prepared to 'break'? This could help me ascertain as to whether mine is faulty or not... Mine is possibly indicating running too hot when not! Jono
SanRemo78

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 09:55:46 PM »

Is there someone with a known early good runner who would be willing to put your gauge cluster on and tell you if the gauge over reads on thier car?

Hawk HF3000 - Square Arch Stratos Replica - owned since 1988.
Alfa Romeo 159 T1 2.4 Q4 Sportwagon - Believed one of 4 in UK.
Fiat Panda 100HP and now!
A Lancia Beta Coupe 1981 2 Litre
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 11:49:11 PM »

Hi Guy/Jono

I suggest you checkout my temp gun idea before you start swapping clusters, as although not so difficult to change, you do have to wrestle with the speedo cable and oil level pipe.

If you get to that stage I do have the cluster out of the HPE which you are welcome to try, but I have not had it running yet, so there is a chance it may not work.

My own personal feeling is that it is either the sender or you do have a temp issue which may be due to a leak on the head as ai remember you mentioning steam coming up at one point from near the exhaust?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Jono

Beta

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 07:55:32 AM »

Peter, Guy, Nigel,

Many thanks for thoughts, comments. The 'temp gun' is sensible. Apparently my garage has one on order, they'll call me in to run that check.

My sender was replaced last year, so that's all good. I think the whisps of steam I noticed have thankfully, and mysteriously ceased... Will check today.

Your kind offer of the HPH cluster I will keep in mind. May come to that. That's a job I can attempt myself! Maybe my gauge suffered permanent damage when my gasket blew, going hard into the red. Now, maybe entirely recalibrated! If such a thing can happen... I'll have to learn to live with inaccuracies for now. J
Jono

Beta

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2022, 09:51:45 PM »

Today, pretty conclusive results using the digital temperature gun on the Beta. All figures within very comfortable parameters. The top of the rad gave a reading in the mid seventies. My fan is set to activate at 82°. This was after a spirited 10 mile drive. I think I am seeing exhaust gasses not steam drifting up from the back of the head. Possible leak from gasket downwards from the manifold. Basically, my dash gauge isn't telling the true temperature picture, a relief really. Peter, I'd like to take up your offer of your HPE dash cluster. I can send you a PM. J
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 07:28:37 AM »

Hi

Good stuff, I have the temp gauge ready to send.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: