Lancia Beta Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:02:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Volumex engine oil capacity  (Read 1628 times)
spydervx

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 14, 2021, 08:52:32 AM »

Hi all,

Changing oil and filter.

As above.  I believe 2.0 engines are 5ltr capacity? 

With the VX oil cooler do I need to allow extra capacity? - I did see a circa 2008 post saying discount oil in cooler as will not be drained (presumably because the thermostat will be closed on a cold engine?).

My Volumex lacks the dipstick extension for the vacuum gauge to work and not sure if it relates but the sump is baffled. 
When I rebuilt the engine first, I marked out a temporary dipstick but can no longer see the marks on it, so I need to repeat the process!

Incidentally has anybody ever managed to fashion a replacement for the flexible end of the dipstick successfully?.

Many thanks,

Gerry

Lancia Beta Spyder vx 77
Lancia Beta Coupe 2.0 78
Alfa gtv 3.0 v6 lusso 98
Suzuki Jimny SZ5 2019
Suzuki gs500 99
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 08:18:37 AM »

I changed the oil and filter in my 1300 last week and 4.5 litres took it to the top of the dipstick after being run for a couple of minutes. I imagine 5 litres will be enough for your Volumex.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 10:00:44 AM »

The official figures are 4.5 to refill including filter, 5.0 to fill dry engine including oil cooler. Regarding the flexible end of the dipstick if you are not using the dash reading I found one in a spares car that had been converted to use a length of fairly rigid cable in place of the tube, I'm not sure if you can find a twin cam stick the same length or not. With the flexible tube I think it is better to avoid using it and rely on the dash gauge instead (after you have first checked that is reliable they are usually not too bad) and only ever withdraw it with a hot engine to ensure the best flexibility.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:07:32 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 10:39:05 AM »

I changed the oil and filter in my 1300 last week and 4.5 litres took it to the top of the dipstick after being run for a couple of minutes. I imagine 5 litres will be enough for your Volumex.

Neil

That seems a lot for a 1300?? Ah, just checked and it should be 4.2 for a 1.3 TBH I think Lancia's figures on this are a bit approximate.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 12:11:16 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
spydervx

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 06:33:55 PM »

Neil and Rossocorsa,

Thank you both so much, that is really helpful info on both oil and dipstick options.

Definitely want to get back to using the dash vacuum gauge, if only because it is such a wonderfully Lancia solution!

Many thanks, Gerry

Lancia Beta Spyder vx 77
Lancia Beta Coupe 2.0 78
Alfa gtv 3.0 v6 lusso 98
Suzuki Jimny SZ5 2019
Suzuki gs500 99
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: