Lancia Beta Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:10:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding in new relays  (Read 1669 times)
JohnFol

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 22, 2021, 01:22:56 PM »

After a bit of advice . .

I have added an electric fuel pump with associated relay. Also taken advice and added in a relay for the electric fan. About to add in a relay between ignition key and start motor to hopefully solve a voltage drop issue. I hear there may be other circuits that really should be triggered by relays, e.g. headlights?  (any other suggestions welcome)

There must be a better solution than to have odd relays around the engine bay? I'm also about to change the battery +ve -> Starter -> Alternator cabling and looking for a distribution block so the trickle charger, fan are not all connected to the battery terminal.

So I'm thinking there must be a better solution. Has anyone fitted a distribution box / multi-relay box or similar?
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2021, 05:31:30 PM »

Hi John
A relay on the top speed wiper feed so you actually get a top speed not 2 the same. A grey wire from memory. Pole Volt sell a nice 6 way distribution block I use for 12v+ battery and 12V switched distribution. They also supply modular relay and fuse assemblies that clip together. You should see pictures on my car build thread.

On a Monte we use 2 change over relays per motor/side to get decent window speed. Take note Change over relays switch twin +ve to twin -ve. They are not wired like conventional realys.

Eric   
JohnFol

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 12:48:53 PM »

Thanks Eric,

Now looked at loads of images, sites and perhaps what I am looking for does not exist. Imagine combining a Busbar with a relay block so you have a common rail for all the +ve feeds on Pin 30, rather than have individual wires. Seems there are combined Busbar fuse blocks but not relay. Don't beat me up too much on the sketch, but this is what I think would be an elegant solution. i.e. the socket for each relay is already connected to a 12v rail without the need to run a wire outside the box to a busbar / eyelet on the battery . .

Does such a think exist, or am I missing something?

* Relay Box.jpg (27.89 KB, 304x601 - viewed 226 times.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 12:50:49 PM by JohnFol » Logged
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 05:31:20 PM »

Hi John

I suspect the reason is that you have no flexibility to supply the relays with a separately fused supply which I think would be most likely preferable.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
JohnFol

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2021, 05:56:11 PM »

Makes sense.
Just going through the frustration of pre-made battery cables have 8mm rings, whereas the busbars have 6mm.
Confident with wiring and standard crimps but not as confident with battery cable gague crimping . ..
frankxhv773t

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2021, 07:28:27 PM »

I'm just in the process of making a good set of Spyder lights out of two grotty sets one of which had relays for the main beam. They were bolted to the light unit mounting points with the standard main beam contact redirected to the relay.

1995 Dedra 2.0 16v SW
1987 Y10 Fire
1977 Beta Spider 1.6
1962 Flaminia Berlina 2.5
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2021, 09:07:19 AM »

I found and bought a battery top distribution and relay box as you see on many modern cars. BUT it will not clear the bonnet on a Beta. It will work on a Montecarlo of course.

I have a hatred of 8 or 10 wires hanging off the battery +VE so I know why you are looking for a better way. By looping the fused feed into a bank of 4 relays and looping switched live paying attention to load it gets neater. I am adding a lot to my car so I have designed and built relay packs using advanced CAD (A4 Paper and a pencil).

Start from what will fail or work better with a relay in a Beta and build to suit.
Radiator Fans if upgraded or more added NB I have added feeds to lights so I know they are on
Starter motor & Ignition feed - The ignition switches burn out frequently
Wiper Motor top Speed - The switch gear resistance is high stopping top speed
Brake Light Switch - They burn out (terrible on a Monte so every owner carries a spare if they have no relay)
Electric Fuel Pump - because manual ones of decent spec are hard to find and the spec is at its limit

Optional
Electric Windows 4 x change over relays - the switches carry a heavy load so old ones can struggle I have 2 sets of new Renault pattern switches that fit straight in
Main Beam Headlights - varies by generation of Loom so check NB on a Monte critical to avoid instant darkness
Dip Beam Headlights - varies by generation of loom so check  NB on a Monte critical to avoid instant darkness

I have ECU Wideband Sensor Drive by Wire Throttle Alarm Tracker Accusump Cruise Control So I have to be tidy and put up with a lot of crimping.
At least you get decent size wiring diagrams for Betas. Monte ones are terrible.

Eric       
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2021, 03:49:46 PM »

Thanks Eric,

Now looked at loads of images, sites and perhaps what I am looking for does not exist. Imagine combining a Busbar with a relay block so you have a common rail for all the +ve feeds on Pin 30, rather than have individual wires. Seems there are combined Busbar fuse blocks but not relay. Don't beat me up too much on the sketch, but this is what I think would be an elegant solution. i.e. the socket for each relay is already connected to a 12v rail without the need to run a wire outside the box to a busbar / eyelet on the battery . .

Does such a think exist, or am I missing something?

Fused relays fed from via a common supply with a (high capacity) in-line fuse is probably as close as you could get but not as elegant as what you're thinking of. I had a look through the vehicle wring product catalogue and what you're after doesn't appear to be for sale.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: