Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:50:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Volumex fuel pressure regulator leaking - problem  (Read 7448 times)
bolger

« on: September 26, 2009, 12:37:22 PM »

Hi All,
  Fuel pressure regulator in my Beta VX is leaking - any ideas how to find a replacement or a new one ?
Or just tell me it can't be done and I need different fuel pump.
Thanks
Z.
hutch6610

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »

You actually have three - the large electro-mechanical, a plastic one (which can split) and a metal one (the diaphragm inside goes porous).
I have managed to get away with leaving the plastic one out on occasion but depends on how good the pressure on your particular system is.
bolger

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 05:48:55 PM »

Isn't the plastic one  a cut-off valve ?
I mean especially the metal one,  it doesn't seem to be possible to split it completely and exchange the diaphragm without destroying ...
rossocorsa
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 09:17:37 PM »

yes the plastic one is some sort of cut off when i get my vx going again with a dcnf instead of dca I'm going to try an alloy bodied filter king
hutch6610

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 11:13:10 PM »

I don't want to get into an argument here but;
The plastic one is a regulator also, a restrictor if you like - try blowing down it, its purpose is to divert the bulk of excess pressure down the "Y" back to the tank.
Then the crimped (my one is made by Solex) effort does the next stage.
The last stage - the electro valve part reduces the pressure further only when hot starting.

How would the plastic one act as a "cut off" ?

If it leaks and the float valve is in good order try removing it and see how you get on - my VX Coupe runs happily without it.
Do this with the air filter top removed - that way you will see if it is flooding while hot.
If no dripping is evident, snap the throttle open with your hand and allow it to snap back shut - watch to see if fuel rises above the paper gasket where the main jets are.
bolger

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »

I just try to follow the names from the Beta Volumex booklet that floats over the Internet. Forgive me asking once again, but
I understand that you suggest getting the plastic one out of the system and leave the metal one. But it is the metal one that  is  leaking in my case.
rossocorsa
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 12:48:45 PM »

the plastic one is said to be a cut off of some sort used due to the risk of fuel vaporisation with a hot engine after being switched off, the manual states that it is set at 0.2bar to cut off the fuel supply when the engine is stopped if you blow through it of course it will let air through...unless you blow very lightly!!, I guess the idea is that it will retain a supply of fuel in the line and assist hot starting my car had it omitted and ran fine but could be a little reluctant to fire up when hot
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:50:41 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
oldest

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 04:37:17 PM »

Hallo.... Does anybody know where do get the VX manual that is mentioned int he tread ? I don't get enough fuel to the carb. Questions: The y shape connector that connects the return pipe, does that have a restrictor built in ? Is is possible that I blew away the restrictor when I cleaned the pipes ?  Next the plastic regulator, which appears to be a one way valve. I have to blow very heard to get anything thru. Basically, my car will only run if the return pipe is fully blocked, but then after a while it overflows, as the pump pressure is far to high. I would really get in touch with an expert how knows the car.  Many thanks forma desperate Felix
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »

I have successfully used a more radical solution to fuelling the VX carb. First you need to realise that the OE VX fuel pump is a Fuel Injection pump similar to the one used on the IEs and this means a lot of extra plumbing to deal with over pressure. I have used a Facet Slivertop Competition interrupter pump mounted close to the tank with a pre-filter to catch the junk from the ageing tank (some are shocking). This runs to a Filter King unit in the engine bay which regulates the fuel pressure to 3PSI and connects to the carb. The Y piece OE regulator and restricter are all gone and the return line is plugged. This worked well for me and is working on a number of VXs I know of without hot starting issues.

Eric       
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: