Lancia Beta Forum
March 19, 2024, 10:45:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I hate asking stupid questions  (Read 1155 times)
DaveFrick

United States United States

« on: April 06, 2021, 12:11:16 AM »

Greetings-

So after getting the Timing Belt serviced, and a new water pump and belts and a shift kit, I finally took the Beta out.  Removed the top, dropped the soft top and threw my daughter in the car.  Took it for my first real drive since buying it in September.  Decided to run it around the block.

Driving around, I noted the pedal felt low.  I had to apply quite a bit of pressure.  Not to the floor but not far off.  It felt very soft.  I don't have a reference point for the Beta to identify how the brakes should feel.  Is a low pedal that requires ample pedal fairly normal?  No leaks noted.  It felt weaker than I would like.

And then on the way up the driveway it decided to drop a muffler clamp. But I will deal with that later.

I have been buying parts for the brakes to have on the shelf, so I have front and rear discs, pads and hoses.  But I dont want to crack open the system if unnecessary.

Any thoughts of what to look for?

Thanks,   Dave
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 07:07:38 AM »

Hi Dave

Pedal nearly to the floor is not normal. It is time to bleed the brakes. Beware the bleed nipples are famous for shearing off due to seizing into the calipers so get a power wire brush all round them and leave anti- seize to soak. Have a look at the fluid in the Reservoir. Is it light yellow in colour or mid brown or much worse black.

If it is black you might end up needing a Master Cylinder due to internal corrosion. Use a Pressure bleeder and pull the old fluid out of the MC with a syringe first before adding new and bleeding.

Good Luck

Eric
PS look at pedal free travel 2 or 3 mm is enough. you can adjust the links to dial out excess play.   
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: