Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:34:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: HPE Sunroof Fumes  (Read 1434 times)
monte/hpe

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: April 04, 2021, 08:59:17 AM »

I was driving my new HPE with the sunroof ( called rainrroof in Scotland for obvious reasons) and noticed that there was a strong smell of exhaust fumes in the car.
I know that for eg my Khamsin due to the tail design does the same via the windows and sucks in exhaust fumes. I think the Kam tail design creates a vortex which sends fumes back along the car. I don't think Gandini had a wind tunnel at Bertone!
Does the HPE do the same? My car has a wider bore stainless system on it but the rear protrusion seems the same. I don't think it is coming from the engine bay as there is no smell with the windows open. Therefore I am wondering if this is normal? I assume as it is an air current there is no cure?
mtulloch

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 07:58:14 PM »

No fumes in mine when the sunroof's open.
Sandro

Denmark Denmark

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 01:27:20 PM »

nor in mine.

is it exhaust or fuel fumes ?

A.

1972 Honda cub
1984 Silver 2000i HPE
2005 Opel Vectra ( everyday )
monte/hpe

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 06:52:21 AM »

I would def say exhaust fumes.
Sandro

Denmark Denmark

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 10:16:44 AM »

okay,

I sometimes get fumes entering the car via the rear windows at standstill if I've opened the rear window hinges out,
but I don't recall having exhaust fumes entering through the sunroof at speed.

Sorry I can't help.

Andrew.

1972 Honda cub
1984 Silver 2000i HPE
2005 Opel Vectra ( everyday )
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 07:38:39 PM »

Perhaps check the manifold to down piper join in the engine bay. This is a weak spot and if it is blowing then the fumes might be carried to the sunroof.

Eric
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 07:52:26 PM »

I would carefully check the whole exhaust for leaks, any chance it may be coming via the sunroof drain pipes?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
monte/hpe

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 08:13:33 PM »

Thanks guys.
I was not aware of any fumes from the engine bay at all. If it was coming from the drain holes I would expect it inside the cabin as well. I will have a good sniff about the engine bay but doubt anything like that. It is odd as does not happen when the windows are open and would expect that if it is a reverse vortex that it would go through the windows too. Likewise if was ab engine leak.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 11:00:27 PM »

Not sure where the drain pipes are located, but with the roof closed the gap is sealed, open the whole of the sunroof area is open to the cabin.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2021, 11:04:37 PM »

Thanks guys.
I was not aware of any fumes from the engine bay at all. If it was coming from the drain holes I would expect it inside the cabin as well. I will have a good sniff about the engine bay but doubt anything like that. It is odd as does not happen when the windows are open and would expect that if it is a reverse vortex that it would go through the windows too. Likewise if was ab engine leak.

Dedras used to be terrible for this, I had a turbo and it was diabolical with the roof open. I think it was the drain tubed and was down to different air pressures. The car was even looked at under warranty but not cured. I fixed it by extending the tail pipe out a bit further and adding an extension to the drain pipes so that they sat in the underside airflow. This meant there was no significant air pressure difference between the end of the pipes.
Fiats cure involved sealing of seams in the bodywork.
With the HPE I'd wonder if it is getting in around the hatch seal. Opening the sunroof would create a low pressure area pulling the internal air towards it.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 11:07:43 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
monte/hpe

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2021, 08:02:56 AM »

Hi
Yes that would make sense. the hatch seal is not great on the HPE and therefore altering the interior pressure could create a draw of air from the back! Good thinking.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: