Lancia Beta Forum
June 14, 2021, 01:20:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beta Meeta 50th Anniversary 2022
https://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4385.0

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Volumex cloth reproduction  (Read 2755 times)
chrisc

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2021, 11:52:52 AM »

I suspect if Gerard (no disrespect) weren't from his background we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I have some recent practical experience of this in another area. I wanted to reproduce something no longer available in a quantity only suitable for personal use, and asked the copyright owner if they were happy with that as they no longer produced it, or if they weren't happy for me to reproduce it for them to do another production run for my requirement. They said no to both, with no reason given. I went ahead and did it anyway. Breaching copyright law? definitely, but think about the chain of events required for it to become an issue -

• Someone from the company would have to be at the location where the reproduced item is
  • They would have to recognise a 40 year old design that they no longer produced
  • They would have to recognise that the item itself was not original
  • They would have to decide that it was worth pursuing

If someone feels like reaching out to Zegna to try and put an obstacle in the way of cloth being available for our cars, I'd wonder what they were even doing browsing an enthusiasts forum!

Current:
S2FL Coupe 1600 (restoration project)

Former Lancias
HPE VX A52 VGK (parts donor)
C363 RPC (probably still sorned in cumbria with it's new owner)
mangocrazy

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2021, 01:05:36 PM »

Spot on, Chris. There are always people who want to stop other people from doing stuff, for reasons (if you can call them that) which are beyond comprehension. I just ignore them. As you say, a long chain of events would need to unfold before it ever became an issue. What you are proposing (and we are backing you to the hilt) is a million miles away from a Chinese knock-off operation blatantly infringing IP and churning out millions of substandard copies of a popular product.

I may be in a similar situation if the planets align; I was interested in acquiring a 'long' fifth gear set as sold by the Monte Hospital until I read Eric's warning about the poor quality of the parts. The gears had been manufactured by a company in Italy, acting on the instructions of a French chap (he owns the IP rights) who used to live in California but has now allegedly relocated to Ottawa. I tried to track him down, but none of my enquiries were ever returned. The Italian company have ceased trading and will only talk to the IP rights holder.

Looking further into it, and after having had a discussion with an engineering company in Sheffield, I decided that if I was to attempt any re-manufacture that the ratios would be different to those sold by MH. This was partly to side-step any IP issues, but also because the MH set required the use of allen head bolts rather than hex head bolts and the 'easing' of another part of the transmission in the gear housing, all to provide clearance for the larger gear. This all spelled 'bodge' in capital neon letters to me, so my plan was to lose a little in terms of ratio, but allow ample clearance for the gears without any modifications being needed.

Anyway, that's a digression. I'm fully in agreement with your intentions and don't believe for a minute that any IP rights issues will surface. You're more likely to see Lord Lucan riding Shergar past your house. (Showing my age here...)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 01:13:08 PM by mangocrazy » Logged

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
GerardJPC

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2021, 04:31:40 PM »

The comments in the previous two posts are surprising, especially given the usually pleasant tone of this forum.   Earlier in this thread, frankxhv773t asked a question about copyright.   I provided an answer to the question.  That is all.  Nobody is attempting to stop anybody doing anything.    
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 04:38:43 PM by GerardJPC » Logged

1979 Beta 1600 Coupe

1962 Lancia Appia Series 3 Berlina
1973 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe 1800
1975 Lancia 2000 HF Coupe
1977 Princess 2200 HL
1981 Lotus Eclat Series 2 (project)
1982 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza
1982 Moto Morini 350 Sport
1983 Land Rover Series 3 88
2009 Jaguar XK 5.0
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2021, 05:15:55 PM »

Hi All

I suggest the issues of Copyright have now been well aired and would like to get this thread back to the actual material availability if that is ok with everyone?

Gerard, I do not think anyone was criticising your comments given the question was indeed raised.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Saab 9-3 1.9Tid Cabrio
mangocrazy

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »

I realise that my comments about 'people who want to stop other people doing stuff' could have been misconstrued as a pop at Gerard. This was absolutely not my intention. It was a reference to Chris's recent experience, nothing more. My ire was directed at rights holders who don't want to do anything with their IP, but don't want anyone else to use it, even under licence.  I apologise if anyone was offended or upset by this, and agree with Peter that we should return this thread to its original purpose.

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
frankxhv773t

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2021, 08:21:01 PM »

The question has been considered so I'm more than happy to get back to the cloth.

1995 Dedra 2.0 16v SW
1987 Y10 Fire
1977 Beta Spider 1.6
1962 Flaminia Berlina 2.5
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: