Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:22:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Poll
Question: I am reaching out for advise. As you can see I wish to resew the seam. How do I get the fabric off?
interior - 0 (0%)
seats - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 0

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: seat disassembly 78 Coupe  (Read 747 times)
vancouver

« on: February 07, 2021, 10:48:36 PM »

I have included photos. I am reaching out for advise. As you can see I wish to resew the seam. How do I get the fabric off?

* IMG_0995.jpeg (84.44 KB, 640x480 - viewed 131 times.)

* IMG_0993.jpeg (73.43 KB, 640x480 - viewed 138 times.)

* IMG_0994.jpeg (91.65 KB, 640x480 - viewed 145 times.)
Nigel

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 11:32:49 PM »

Hi vancouver,

You should see that the fabric is folded into a channel all around the base of the frame. You'll need a pair
of flat-nosed pliers. Lay the seat base upside down. Start at the rear of the frame at one end and grip the fabric and pull upwards.
The fabric is sewn to a plastic or fibre strip [for stiffness] It will all pull out gradually, it may be tight, in which case you could
slightly open the channel by twisting with a flat screwdriver. Do this all the way around.
You can now pull the fabric off the foam. The next and final step is more tricky.
Looking at the foam you'll see 8 slots in the foam, 4 each side. Inside each hole is what's called a hog-ring. It's a small piece
of wire that's been closed shut [with a special pair of pliers]around two long wires, one of which is fixed to the fabric, front to back,
the other is molded within the foam. There's a pair of these each side. Take your same flat-nosed pliers, grip the ring and twist it to open it up.
You may well find that 4 are accessible from beneath the base, the other 4 are visible from the top, once
you've peeled the fabric back off the sides.

When you come to refit, zzzz-type cable ties are a suitable replacement for the hog-rings, but fiddly to fit.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Nigel

Edit to add: This is perhaps a rear seat squab as I see rubber straps, not springs. The same should apply though.
Release the rubber straps, those holes in the foam should be visible, but may be fewer, say 3 each side.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 11:41:24 PM by Nigel » Logged

1984 2.0 Carb HPE [ex Aus] Grigio Finanza.
2007 Mazda 6 2.3 [current daily, highly recommended]
The past:
1980 2.0 HPE White in South Africa [hope it survives!]
1976 1.6 Coupe Lancia Blu [PFG 76R] [probably deceased]
oh,and an Uno Turbo 1997 also in SA [stolen,never recovered]
vancouver

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 01:01:08 AM »

Thank you - this definitely helps - It seemed like the thing to do but I wanted reaffirmation. It may be a rear seat base from but it is my passenger seat - you know how Lancia moved stuff from HPE to coupe European to NA

Again, thank you - Jonathan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: