Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:11:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beta spyder power steering options?  (Read 2547 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: December 06, 2020, 04:13:24 AM »

It's almost eleven years since I first posted here trying to find out general information about a Beta "convertible" I'd just bought and every question over the years has always been answered in a tolerant and helpful manner.

Anyway, I kind of need to add power steering to my 1978 pre-facelift spyder for technical reasons (I'm a bit decrepid) and I wonder is there an electric rack off some modern car that can be modified to work without too much physical, mechanical, mental or fiscal effort?

Alternatively and probably more realistically, how difficult or easy is it to fit an original Beta system and where do the reservoir and pump mount?

I should add that I have zero interest in taking the engine and gearbox out Wink

Rust never sleeps
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 10:19:27 AM »

I understand creeping old age as a major factor for power steering. I have installed Power steering onto my Beta Spyder by using VX parts in part because I am not 20 anymore. To do this is definitely engine and gearbox plus dashboard and heater out stuff. Basically you drill out the spot welds and remove the non PS structure from the bulkhead and swap for the structure you have removed from a VX bulkhead filling some holes and cutting VX type new ones. To do it needs hubs, rack, pump, reservoir, IE or VX pedalbox, IE or VX brake cross link.

So electric power steering. Many after market installs use the Corsa B electric column and a variable speed controller (car builder solutions sell one). To do this you will need to match the spline pattern on the Universal joint section or safely join to the Lancia original plus fabricate brackets for the switch  assembly. Probably need a Corsa hub for a Momo wheel. Multiple firms advertised at Classic car shows for doing Electric PS conversions having spotted the lack of youth in classic cars owners, but I do not know of one that has done this for a Beta Spyder or Beta Coupe. It will be a case of calling round to find out. In reality you probably want variable assistance you turn up for parking and off for country lanes.

Good Luck

Eric         
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 10:26:06 AM »

Hi

Oddly enough it was something that I had been pondering on over the last few weeks. Not necessarily for now, but definitely as time goes on and the variable effort available and lack of more fluids made electric an interesting option.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 10:50:16 AM »

Thanks guys.
Interviews for position of chauffer commencing in early 2021 Grin

Rust never sleeps
squiglyzigly

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 10:00:46 AM »

Another option is available if you’re feeling adventurous.
Toyota Prius electric power steering can be made to fit/work.  It’s a tight fit and a bit of work but with limited options I thought it was worth a try for similars reasons to your own. (No engine out required)
Have a search for “beta electric power steering”.
I’ve put my experience up for perusal.

Ian

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 09:44:53 PM »

As an unwilling member of the 'decrepit old gits' club I will be following developments with interest. Definitely interested in electrically assisted PS, lots of belts, pulleys and pumps not so much.

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 11:16:17 PM »

You can also go half and half - an electric pump with a conventional power steering rack. That still needs the different bulkhead of course but it might be the route I choose.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 03:55:38 PM »

Hi

Just resurrecting this thread as about to replace the fluid in the Saab’s power steering. I have not done it before and after reading the good book Haynes, realise the rack on mine (diesel) is a self contained rack, ie has a built in electric motor to power the fluid. As mentioned by Stuart above, I wonder if these may be an option over the pure electric ones. Obviously more complicated, but a complete working unit in one.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
squiglyzigly

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 06:14:07 PM »

Hi Peter,
I’ve been looking into this a little and it’s on my list of mods to play with. It’s a popular mod on kit cars and drift cars for different reasons and many people often do it for simplicity when they’re swapping engines out regularly as there is no fluid to drain from the engine mounted mechanical designs. The VX coupe will be my guinea pig. I think there are a few advantages to the electric power steering pumps such as no power sapping mechanical pump and I expect a more consistent assistance level when the engine revs are low (parking etc).
Not sure which electric pump assembly I will opt for as there seems to be a few choices out there but a major factor will be size. I’d like to fit it where the original beta power steering reservoir currently sits without cutting the inner wing if possible.
Hopefully I’ll get this mod in the VX late this year and give an update.

squiglyzigly

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 06:29:55 PM »

Hi

Just resurrecting this thread as about to replace the fluid in the Saab’s power steering. I have not done it before and after reading the good book Haynes, realise the rack on mine (diesel) is a self contained rack, ie has a built in electric motor to power the fluid. As mentioned by Stuart above, I wonder if these may be an option over the pure electric ones. Obviously more complicated, but a complete working unit in one.

Peter

Sorry Peter I didn’t realise your Saab was the type with the electric pump bolted directly into/onto the rack. In My previous post I was rattling on about the separate electric pump design on many Vauxhalls, Peugeot, Toyota MR2 etc.

Fitting a Saab type design into a Beta is fraught with major issues. Space is super tight on a beta around the bulkhead so there little chance of physically getting it in there. Also the beta design of rack that mounts the steering arms centrally is very unpopular. 99% of car manufacturers use racks of outboard inner tie rod design. If you managed to fit a different design of rack it would ruin the steering and handling of the beta.

Back to the drawing board.

Ian

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:41:43 PM by squiglyzigly » Logged

peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 10:53:32 PM »

Hi Ian

I was not really meaning using the Saab one, I was just interested to find, having never come across one before, a mixed electric and hydraulic rack which seems to answer some of the issues faced with all electric assistance. I guess the reservoir and pump could be located away from the rack given it is just two pipes which move the fluid.

I wonder if it is feasible to make the original Beta power steering rack use an electric pump, or is that more work than makes sense?

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2021, 08:07:38 AM »

Hi Peter

Yes I think it would be feasible to use an electric pump for the Beta Power Steering design. BUT which pump?? A close study of the rating of the OE pump is required before finding cars with electric pumps then finding their pressure rating. Some I have seen combine the oil reservoir which is neat.

You would want to avoid taking hydraulic pipes over the exhaust manifold or at least heavily heat shield them IMHO.

I decided OE would do for my build.

Eric 
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2021, 09:20:38 AM »

Hi Eric

The Saab one has the reservoir on top of the pump which is neat, but may be more difficult to locate. It is used on other GM cars I believe.

Peter

* 78266B8D-64E0-4044-98A5-6472BBA68BBF.jpeg (23.9 KB, 312x450 - viewed 345 times.)

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2021, 09:49:24 PM »

With an electric/hydraulic system it might also be possible to regulate the pressure and how much assistance it gives. Interesting idea!
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2021, 05:40:01 PM »

Hi

Thought you might find this video interesting, guy goes on a little, but worth a watch if you are interested in power steering as an option.

https://youtu.be/SnnVqs-fQ0U

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: