Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:13:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another ignition switch one - removing the lock barrel?  (Read 2409 times)
chrisc

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: December 02, 2020, 07:07:54 PM »

Hiya,
  as you may have read on the members cars, I have a new project 1980 s2 coupe without keys. I've got the code to try my luck with getting new door keys, but the ignition is another matter.

I've not taken apart an ignition switch before, and this one came to me part disassembled - column shrouds off, outer bit of the ignition switch itself off and able to turn the barrel with a screwdriver in the lock.

Ignition switches appear to be hard to find at the moment - I say that, I need to confirm if my car is a 5 wire one or a 4 wire one.. but in the meantime I thought I'd take a crack at repairing this one.

I've been able to remove the bit with the barrel and it's surrounding casing off the car

With the goal of trying to remove the barrel itself to replace it. I removed a small screw from one side to get it off the car, the other side had that err. dowel pin arrangement, which I've drilled out, but the barrel is still not moving - tried it in all positions. What's next?

ps. I would make a terrible car thief

Current:
S2FL Coupe 1600 (restoration project)

Former Lancias
HPE VX A52 VGK (parts donor)
C363 RPC (probably still sorned in cumbria with it's new owner)
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 08:37:07 AM »

Hi Chris

Given how fragile these switches are and you have no keys I recommend you save time and effort and just buy a new steering lock assembly. They turn up regularly on ebay and the various Italian Beta FB Groups. 5 Wire for a Beta 4 Wire for a Montecarlo normally, but check yours.

Eric
chrisc

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:30:05 PM »

New genuine Magneti Marelli one received today from Midwest-Bayless

They also seem to have new aftermarket ones that'd fit- https://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-22952-81827105-ignition-switch-lancia-beta-1975-82-new.aspx

Current:
S2FL Coupe 1600 (restoration project)

Former Lancias
HPE VX A52 VGK (parts donor)
C363 RPC (probably still sorned in cumbria with it's new owner)
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 07:57:14 PM »

The marelli ones actually are different to original in that you can't just swap the barrel over.
JohnFol

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2021, 02:26:48 PM »

Is the assembly typically sold "complete" or is it in separate parts? Not done one since the 90's and that was an Astra, but recall there is the physical shroud that clamps to the steering column (and locks the steering), the insert that matches the key profile and rotates, and finally the electrical switch.

In Lancia Beta-speak are all 3 referred to as the "Ignition switch"?

rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2021, 04:56:59 PM »

Normally comes as a complete assembly.
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2021, 06:08:13 PM »

You want the complete assembly because the issue will be in the switch contacts which are pretty much un serviceable and the new assembly comes with new shear bolts and typically 2 nice new keys.

Eric
JohnFol

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2021, 12:50:17 PM »

Thanks Eric, just need to track one down!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: