Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:34:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacement fuel tank filler hose for Coupe  (Read 12764 times)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 11:41:25 PM »

A bit of Googling will bring up various anecdotal reports, here is one such

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/98338-rubber-fuel-pipe/

I have read ones where the modern fuel mix has rotted pipes out within 6 months.

All the best

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2018, 09:58:41 AM »

Hi

Also an interesting article published back in 2009 which I came across.

https://www.hagerty.com/Articles-Videos/Articles/2009/09/02/Safe-at-the-Pump

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
squiglyzigly

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 11:44:04 AM »

Re: fuel pipes. I recently discovered to my dismay that the alleged high quality silicon fuel lines, are in my opinion ‘not fit for purpose ‘. I found out the hard way when recently finishing the  restoration on my Beta coupe. I replaced every fuel line and hose on the car using original spec cotton braided hose in some places and silicon in others. The smell of fuel was overwhelming. After trial and error I discovered that Silicon hoses ‘breath’ regardless of the superior quality claims made by manufacturers and sellers. It was truly unbearable.
All silicon now replaced with quality gates fuel hoses and problem solved.

The other thing I noticed with your chassis rail problem is the lack of spacers between the fuel tank and the chassis. I’m pretty sure when I dropped my tank last year there where large thick spacers between the tank and the chassis. I think they are aimed at spreading the weight of the tank against a larger surface area on the chassis rail to prevent the problem you’ve just had of pulling the studs out of the chassis rail.
The spacers on my car where something like 4mm thick 20mm in diameter. (I’ve not measured this, just from memory).  Without them I think the rubber foam seal around the sender is pushing the tank down even harder against the mounting studs. 

Has anyone else got these spacers fitted.

All the best
Ian

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
LanciaDave

United States United States

« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 10:02:13 AM »

Yes. I have dropped the tank on Zagato (Spyder), Sedan, and at least 2 HPE's and all have had these extra thick washers/spacers underneath the angle brackets on either side that secure the tank.
Also thanks for the tip on the silicone fuel hose.
Has anyone found a source for the rubber filler hose? (that isn't $150 or too mickey moused)

Dave
Wilds of the Pacific NW, USA
77 HPE 1.8L manual steering
77 Sedan 2L FI
84 HPE Vx
76 Scorpion (Montecarlo) 2L w/dual 40DCNF
squiglyzigly

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2019, 07:04:07 PM »

I found a gates fuel hose that was for another vehicle (sorry I can’t remember what it fitted) and cut it down. It was a quality rubber hose of the correct diameter and not based on silicon. It’s out there and made by Gates.

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
LanciaDave

United States United States

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2019, 08:32:15 PM »

I know this may be a little past time to help the original poster unless they happen to check back in on this, but hopefully it at least helps more owners with this problem. I think I see what's causing the problem here. On all the (admittedly US) models I have observed, the tanks are not merely held to body with 4 studs in the corners. On either side of the tank there is an angle iron shaped piece with a loop at the end to attach tow hook. The flat part of the angle attaches at either end to those studs with the thick washers (spacers) against the box-section frame, the loop of the tank over, then the angle piece on top with large washer and nut topping it off. In between the same setup is repeated two more times with a bolt instead of a stud. This should disperse the weight of the tank much better than a couple studs and loops in the corners.
Hopefully these pics can help illustrate the angle piece and the spacers.

Dave

* tank support 8-4-19_114722 (3).jpg (188.43 KB, 843x1232 - viewed 382 times.)

* tank support 8-4-19_115220 (3).jpg (70.59 KB, 436x535 - viewed 372 times.)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 08:45:10 PM by LanciaDave » Logged

Dave
Wilds of the Pacific NW, USA
77 HPE 1.8L manual steering
77 Sedan 2L FI
84 HPE Vx
76 Scorpion (Montecarlo) 2L w/dual 40DCNF
Gromit

Australia Australia

1979 Coupe 2000

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2020, 06:40:28 AM »

That looks like a much better engineered support arrangement for the weight of the fuel tank.

As a sequel or postscript, I can report that I have tracked down the factory original NOS Pirelli fuel tank filler hose for the Australian/USA delivered Lancia Beta Coupe from Lambda Motors in Australia. They have several more of these NOS filler hoses in stock at a very reasonable price considering their scarcity (and especially compared to what Midwest-Bayless in the USA were charging when they had a NOS filler hose listed).

So if you own an Australian or North American export version of the Lancia Beta Coupe and want or need a replacement factory original fit Pirelli NOS fuel tank filler hose, act fast to secure one!  They are in perfect physical condition and genuine NOS.

Here is the Australian ebay link for the Lancia Beta Coupe NOS fuel tank filler hose:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/174512410400?ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true

Alternatively you can contact Lambda Motors directly.

Remember that the Berlina and HPE filler hose is a different shape and different part number so you need a different one for those Beta models.

This is the Berlina/HPE fuel tank filler hose (note the asking price in USD!):

https://www.midwest-bayless.com/LANCIA-BETA-0_p-8112-82332076-oe-fuel-filler-neck-hose-lancia-beta-hpe-sedan-all-oe-nos.aspx

« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 06:52:27 AM by Gromit » Logged

Family Italian car fleet: 1979 Beta Coupe 2000, Fiat 124 Spyder (and a 2007 Fiat Punto!)
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: