Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:51:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Pressure Warning Light  (Read 2877 times)
BetaSteve

« on: November 04, 2019, 05:19:55 AM »

Hi All

I have a problem with my '78 Beta coupe that's been getting progressively worse over the last few years.
If it hasn't been started for 1-2 weeks, it takes a lot of cranking - sometimes well over a minute - for the oil pressure warning light to go out, at which point the electric fuel pump will kick in and start to pump fuel through, and away it goes.

Have others seen this problem ?
Any thoughts/suggestions as to how best to diagnose/fix this ?
Is it likely to be the oil pump itself, or a dodgy oil pressure sender ?

Cheers
Steve

HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 08:25:36 AM »

You can allways check the pressure by temporarily fitting a capillary gauge (almost always reliable).

I wonder if you have an oil filter without non-return springs? It could be draining right down and it would take a while to fill at cranking speeds.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 09:06:49 AM »

I think at cranking speed it will take a while for the light to extinguish, the engine is not turning over all that fast I think in most cases the light only goes out when it fires. As already stated above you could put a gauge on it to see if pressure is generally low or not. Instant starting may seem desirable but having to turn over a bit first is definitely an advantage  in terms of getting oil flowing   
BetaSteve

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 10:07:24 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, will check that and replace the filter just in case.
BTW, when I say it takes a lot of cranking, I mean a lot (!) - it has been enough to flatten the battery on occasions.
Am I right in thinking that others have the same cutout switch, preventing the fuel pump from running until the oil pressure light goes out ?
I guess the other option is to start (& drive) it more often (!)
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 11:49:45 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions, will check that and replace the filter just in case.
BTW, when I say it takes a lot of cranking, I mean a lot (!) - it has been enough to flatten the battery on occasions.
Am I right in thinking that others have the same cutout switch, preventing the fuel pump from running until the oil pressure light goes out ?
I guess the other option is to start (& drive) it more often (!)

Not as far as I am aware, I am guessing you are in USA as European cars of this vintage have manual type pumps?
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2019, 12:39:20 AM »

Hi

From what you have written, it sounds like the engine used to get up to oil pressure much quicker before. I would check the oil pump, filter/relief valve. You could always wire in a switch to allow the pump to run initially and turn this off after starting, but obviously you run the risk of forgetting and hence not having the comfort of the pump stopping in the event of an accident etc.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
BetaSteve

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 10:10:25 AM »

Actually from Aust, the car definitely doesn't have all the US specific mods.
Anyway, thanks all for the comments & suggestions, will check the filter & pump, and if they look normal, try a separate switch for the pump.

Cheers
Steve
squiglyzigly

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2019, 12:36:15 PM »

The oil pressure switch may be faulty, they can fail. Might be worth replacing it for a couple of dollars to eliminate it from the equation.

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: