Lancia Beta Forum
April 29, 2024, 06:34:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need a garage?  (Read 2276 times)
jwab

« on: August 04, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »

Hi fellas, I've been in the market for an HPE for some time now, but not seen any come up that tickle my fancy. If one does come up however I'm in two minds if I should go for it considering I don't have a garage. It would be street parked. Would I be throwing my money away due to this? Is the rust issue really that bad? Would it disintegrate out side my house within a few months?

I read the HPE was the last Beta model off the production, ending in 85/86? A late model from this time came with ground braking anti corrosion guarantee, yet they are rare as hens teeth. I see far more Spyders than I do HPE's and they had 1/2 the production numbers.

Anyway, back to the original question, should I secure a lock up before I get an HPE?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:24:33 AM by jwab » Logged
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:39:36 AM »

I guess there are a couple of things to take into consideration.  If the car you buy already has a few rust issues then storing it outside, exposed to the elements, is only going to make things worse.  If left untouched the tin worm will get a good hold and then its difficult to stop. I've seen late HPE VX's that you don't need a key to get into, just climb through the holes in the rear arches because they are that rotten - so it also depends on whether the car you buy has been looked after.

Me, personally I'd put it in a garage (but I'm spoilt because I have one) keeping it dry stored allows you time to sort out any rust issues and also slows the whole process down.  Even when I did not own a home with a garage I rented a lockup for my Coupe.  (also my drive was full with Integrales & my work motor)

Any Beta is going to be circa 25 years plus now, and I'm afraid the tin worm is inevitable really. Garaging it is always going to be best but I fully appreciate that its an additional cost to running the car.  But a good clean car thats been treated with TuffCoat DiNol (that was the sticker I seem to recall being stuck to my VX Coupe's window) and you should be alright for storing outside.  Just worth giving it another coat of protection to make sure its all in tip top shape.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
jwab

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 01:49:04 PM »

Thanks for the advice. I thought as much. I think due to the shear shortage of HPE's on sale let alone decent examples, I have the time to find an appropiate storage.

TreviDash

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 06:38:42 PM »

Storage is best for piece of mind - and insurance discount

'84 Alfa 33 Gold Cloverleaf
'92 Daimler Six
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 08:54:15 PM »

Also if you need to work on the car and it's raining you'll be thankful !   Grin Grin

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 10:34:54 AM »

it will probably survive quite well if you rustproof everything all box sections, behind trims etc. as soon as you get it but a garage will keep it good for a lot longer so long as it is dry and well ventilated. Condensation is probably the killer is some areas as opposed to rain for instance the rear inner arches/strut mounting well worth  filling the void in the double skinned area near the floor with waxoyl
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: