Lancia Beta Forum
March 19, 2024, 08:59:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: coupe 2.0 drive shaft spacer on 1977  (Read 2884 times)
mantagtj1981

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: September 16, 2019, 09:08:12 PM »

im in the middle of a restoration 1977 mk2 2.0 coupe manual, i noticed on one side driveshaft there was a 5.5mm thick alloy spacer which seemed to i think take up slack  between the outer cv  joint and the shaft .
having checked  the drive shafts are same length infact , so i cant see why you need this spacer it looks like someones fitted it .
infact i cannot get the small spring  round clip to sit behind the cv joint with the spacer fitted .
has anyone noticed this small spacer on  there cars? i m sure that  perhaps both sides should have a small spacer to take the slack up.

Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 08:09:39 AM »

Photo?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 08:21:47 AM »

See link both shafts appear to be the same (item 30 is shown as 2 per car)
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1XLC2kXMqdvRp6rZA
squiglyzigly

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 09:17:56 AM »

Yes it is supposed to be there always. It’s is a spring steel washer to provide preload to prevent the joint ‘chattering’ on the shaft during rotation.
To fit the circlip you will have to apply a little downward force to overcome the preload the spacer is creating. It has to be like that or eventually there will be premature wear on the driveshaft splines/joint or both.

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
mantagtj1981

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 11:42:48 AM »

hi thanks, i see that the picture shows one shaft only that was my question the spacer on mine is a solid alloy not steel 5.5 mm thick only fitted to drivers side  but im looking at both as there is play 5mm or  so and i agree that it should be  tighter . i used to  put thease on years ago when i was a mobile mechanic in the 1980s and found  some fwd cars all had too much slack it will wear the splines like you say .
squiglyzigly

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 07:18:08 PM »

I think they get lost when the split cv boots are replaced. When you pull the joint off of the shaft the preload washer often stays in the old boot hidden in the grease and gets thrown away unknowingly.
I’ve only ever seen curved spring steel washers used in beta/thema/croma/monte driveshafts but I guess there can be other types.

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
SanRemo78

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2019, 07:42:01 PM »

It's many years since I've had a Beta (but the Stratos replica runs Beta driveshafts) and my understanding is that the spacer/collar call it what you will, has a purpose. And that's to sit over the spring circlip to keep it in the groove whilst you insert the shaft into the outer CV joint?
Guy

Hawk HF3000 - Square Arch Stratos Replica - owned since 1988.
Alfa Romeo 159 T1 2.4 Q4 Sportwagon - Believed one of 4 in UK.
Fiat Panda 100HP and now!
A Lancia Beta Coupe 1981 2 Litre
mantagtj1981

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2019, 08:50:42 PM »

i think both are good points having not seen a beta for years!  yes the original may have been a spring steel and  yes i had no end of trouble getting one cv  joint off!   theres no simple way  if that clip wants to get in the way  that it   bang away  it might give . ive ordered one new joint and im making the  spacers myself to take the slack up    out of good steel . will at some point be putting the pictures of the restoration  up  and the car will be  at many shows next year  rare cars looking forward to using it dont see many 77  2000 coupes about
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: