Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:25:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Beta coupe MOT fail - rear shock "worn bush"  (Read 7575 times)
Mat Grant

« on: June 07, 2019, 05:36:48 PM »

Hi all,

My 1984 Lancia beta 2000ie coupe went straight through the MOT last year, but this year it has failed on:

"Shock absorbers (sic) has an excessively worn bush offside rear upper"

Please can anyone point me in the direction of how to find a part/parts to fix this? Is the bush integral to the strut? Or is it a separate bush? Any answers or guidance gratefully received.

Thanks, Mat.

rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 08:03:27 PM »

I can only assume that this means the strut top mount, the rubber bush is an integral part of the mounting. They can be found if you search the internet but can be scarce.
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2019, 08:42:12 AM »

It could be the strut worn so the push rod is rocking in the casing. Ideally find a pair of rear struts and new top mounts and re-build them. Early struts have collars that can be unscrewed to change the insert. Beta Boyz parts used to do weld on collars to convert sealed struts to take cartridges.   
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2019, 08:46:19 AM »

These can deteriorate badly, but I'm surprised it leaves enough movement for a MOT fail. I'd get the MOT tester to point out exactly what they are unhappy with before buying any parts. I've had two top mounts fail over the years, the symptom on both occasions was that the car would 'shimmy' at the back end when driving in a straight line. With the first one, 30 years ago on an ie, the top of the shocker with the large nut  came completely free of the strut top.
Mat Grant

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 04:58:46 PM »

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies - since posting i've done lots of trawling through the internet and found a parts diagram for the rear strut. I still haven't got my head round where there is scope for a deteriorated top bush, I'n guessing it means the large rubber part on top of the spring? Good suggestion to ask the MOT tester to describe what was wrong, trouble is the car is out of MOT now, so I can't take it back until it is booked for another test. So I'll have to just phone them on monday and hope they can remember.

Also not helping is the car lives in storage at the moment while my garage has been knocked down for a new garage / house extension, so it's difficult to get to. As I've done less than about 200 miles since the last MOT, I thought it would be ok, so it's annoying that it has failed.

Cheers, Mat.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 12:02:54 PM »

The top mount that had 4 captive threads on top and locates the rod of the strut to the top of the strut tower, this has a metal outer then a moulded in rubber bush. The bush had probably detached or become worn/perished
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 07:52:57 PM »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/photos/share/aKyZFxNPFPneBeiqLhXjYp5d35fu3tglZTrn9N4b1LR
Mat Grant

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »

Hi

Thanks mr Rossocorsa for posting the parts diagram, that is useful.

i'll update if i get any progress. I phoned the garage (Halfords) today they said the MOT tester who did mine goes to lots of different garages, they don't know where he is or when he will be back - really helpful.

I won't be in a position to fix the car for a while unless i get a strong steer on what part is needed and am able to find it. Otherwise it is just going to sit on my girlfriends drive. i don't like it being left outside.

Cheers, Mat.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 05:45:22 PM »

I know that a lot of people on here disagree with me, but I think that a lot of testers fail random things on older cars that they don't really understand. As with this example they have to be nailed down to exactly what is wrong. If the top nut hasn't broken away and the car still handles OK I'd suspect this is a rogue fail, and they would have probably backed down if challenged.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 07:38:42 PM »

I'd tend to agree. Especially if it's not a classic friendly place.

I had one try to fail mine on beam pattern. It had brand new headlamps. I had to explain that he couldn't fail it on something that was as good as when first supplied.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 09:06:34 PM »

Hi

Thanks mr Rossocorsa for posting the parts diagram, that is useful.

i'll update if i get any progress. I phoned the garage (Halfords) today they said the MOT tester who did mine goes to lots of different garages, they don't know where he is or when he will be back - really helpful.

I won't be in a position to fix the car for a while unless i get a strong steer on what part is needed and am able to find it. Otherwise it is just going to sit on my girlfriends drive. i don't like it being left outside.

Cheers, Mat.

I would not use halfords as the mechanics will maybe not be tuned in to older cars, I can only assume that the tester thinks something is loose at the top of the strut. This is most likely the top mount unless the strut itself is very badly worn which is unlikely. Try to inspect it yourself if you can.
Mat Grant

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 07:24:50 PM »

Yes I don't think I will again ha ha.

I did get a response and they stand by their findings that one side had excessive play. They said it was the upper parts in that diagram "all four parts above the spring". I'm still unable to jack the car to confirm as my tools are sealed up while my garage is rebuilt and the car is a few miles away.

Does anyone know if the struts are common with any FIAT model?

Thanks, Mat.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 09:05:11 PM »

Yes I don't think I will again ha ha.

I did get a response and they stand by their findings that one side had excessive play. They said it was the upper parts in that diagram "all four parts above the spring". I'm still unable to jack the car to confirm as my tools are sealed up while my garage is rebuilt and the car is a few miles away.

Does anyone know if the struts are common with any FIAT model?

Thanks, Mat.

I don't think they fit anything other than the Beta, the parts above the spring are a thin metal circular ring that the spring seats on, these are often very corroded, above this is a rubber ring which is usually in good order, then the mount itself I think this is the most likely culprit and that the rubber has detached firm the metal outer. The other part shown in the diagram is the bump stop, usually in good order and not relevant to this problem
LanciaDave

United States United States

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 08:13:58 AM »

The most common failure I've seen is that upper mount piece with the four studs sticking out the top. As seen on the diagram here:

Typically the rubber insert starts to degrade and separates from the metal outer and top washer. On the HPE you're able to check it from the top without jacking up the car. I'd guess in the coupe the access might be from the trunk. Usually have to move the carpet off the tower, possibly a tin cover, then you should be able to inspect that top mount and look for signs of separation or just the strut top knocking around in there loose. For a while Mark was redoing them for Betaboyz when you send in your old one. You may want to check that out. Hope you get her sorted and back on the road.

Dave

* upper mount.JPG (39.79 KB, 651x523 - viewed 435 times.)

Dave
Wilds of the Pacific NW, USA
77 HPE 1.8L manual steering
77 Sedan 2L FI
84 HPE Vx
76 Scorpion (Montecarlo) 2L w/dual 40DCNF
Mat Grant

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2019, 11:05:02 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the post, sadly the car is still in storage while my new garage is being built. It's nearly finished so I'll hopefully get a look at it soon. I'll update once I've had a look at it.

Mat.
Mat Grant

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 11:57:28 AM »

Hi all,

Just to update on this.... My Lancia Beta coupe went for it's MOT in 2019, while I was having an extra garage put on the side of my house, so I had the car stored on my girlfriends drive, and all my tools were sealed up in my other garage so no access.

The Lancia failed on "excessively worn shock upper bush" - even though it had only done about 300 miles since the previous MOT. Because the MOT had expired I had no choice but to drive it straight back to my girlfiends house and put it on the drive. So I would start it every now and again, but couldn't drive it or even have access or tools to look at the suspension "problem"

Roll forward to now - my garage was completed so I now have one standard garage and one super large garage. The Lancia came back on a friends trailer and readied it for the MOT. But as I couldn't remember exactly what they said last time, and couldn't see anything really wrong/loose/worn on the rear suspension (and both sides look the same) I thought I'd put it back in for the MOT, at the same garage. (Different MOT tester btw). As it had been so long I could then discuss with the MOT guy what the issue was.

Anyway it passed without even any advisories on the suspension / brakes / wheels etc. And I didn't feel the need to point it out to the MOT guy  Grin So I'm at a loss as to why the guy failed it before. Now it's insured and road legal I went for a good drive in it and the handling is great - no problems whatsoever. The only advisory was the exhaust silencer has a slight blow. And while the brakes passed the MOT fine they are not brilliant - needs a fair wang on the pedal to get decent stopping.

Just a few things to sort like the drivers electric window mechanism etc (goes down but only goes up if you help it) and the carb setup (it is an IE but someone took the injection off and fitted a carb (not sure why). But it's good to be back on the road. Insurance was really cheap, so I'm looking forward to when it qualifies for free road tax!

Thanks again for the help and suggestions on here though. I'll be looking to get some miles in the car while the weather is warm and dry.

Cheers, Mat.
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2020, 11:25:25 PM »

I must admit my first thought was 'put it in for another MoT'. If the tester can't clearly articulate and point out the problem, then it's a very iffy fail. Glad it's all back on the road and sanity has prevailed.

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2020, 08:11:29 AM »

Glad you are back on the road. For your peace of mind with it securely on Axle stands check through all suspension bolts and bushes. Use a pry bar to check movement on bushes. If you find something loose you get to fix it before it becomes truly dangerous. If you find nothing you have an MOT tester trying to make money from you!

Eric
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2020, 08:47:31 AM »

I know that a lot of people on here disagree with me, but I think that a lot of testers fail random things on older cars that they don't really understand. As with this example they have to be nailed down to exactly what is wrong. If the top nut hasn't broken away and the car still handles OK I'd suspect this is a rogue fail, and they would have probably backed down if challenged.

I rest my case! Disgraceful.

peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2020, 08:57:03 AM »

Given the MOT test stations I have used give you a grace period to retest at no extra charge, not sure where the making money is. I do tend to use the MOT only places however, not ones that service as well which may have been the angle.

My most recent MOT fail was on the Saab where I had recently done a large service/check and it was failed on directional tyres being on the wrong side, I had not realised they were directional tyres fitted! Simple solution and the MOT station guy actually swapped them round for me.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: