Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:09:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Rear window surround removal / rear window demisters 84 HPE  (Read 2264 times)
Sandro

Denmark Denmark

« on: September 27, 2018, 01:34:14 PM »

Hello everyone,

Has anyone had any experience removing the rear stainless steel window surround from a later model HPE ?

Mine was lifting away from the glass and needed rebonding so I pulled it away to prep it ( it also needed a re-spray )   
before refitting, but in the process of removing it I pulled away two small copper wires at the top right of the frame that I hadn't noticed
as they were embedded into the black silcone sealant. I tryed unsuccessfully to see where they lead, as seem to disappear into bonding at the top of the window.
( pictured below ) does anyone know if these are connected to the rear heaters somehow ?

Outwardly it appears that the heater connections come from the roof cavity down each side the boot lid to the window heater.
but I might be wrong,

If they're not for the demisters, does anyone know what they are for ?

Many thanks as always for anyone who can shed some light.

Best Andrew

* frame.jpg (153.54 KB, 510x383 - viewed 317 times.)

* frame2.jpg (209.97 KB, 512x384 - viewed 317 times.)

1972 Honda cub
1984 Silver 2000i HPE
2005 Opel Vectra ( everyday )
Kevo

England England

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 05:00:20 PM »

Hi Andrew
Lancia did use copper wires in the bonding glue to assist in the cure.
I’ve just removed my front windscreen trim and there is was wire around the glass but I didn’t find any in the trim.
Someone more knowledgable than me will be along shortly.
Cheers Kev.

1979 Beta Coupe 1600
1972 Triumph TR6 Pi
2005 BMW Z4 Roadster
Sandro

Denmark Denmark

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 09:48:22 PM »

Hey thanks Kevin,

That sounds promising, I don't fancy trying to resolder the 2 wires back where they came from.

I'll leave it a few days to see if anyone else has anything to add.

Thanks again for your help.

Andrew.

1972 Honda cub
1984 Silver 2000i HPE
Sandro

Denmark Denmark

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 11:33:43 AM »

Okay so for anyone removing windows / or window surrounds in the future. I received the following information from the nice blokes at Carteroni, NZ
( take a look at their work online if you haven't already it's mouthwatering ) ..okay so they said :

"Before we had Urethane to bond in windscreens we used a system that had a heating wire element embedded in the rubber sealing bond, when the screen was fitted the rubber was heated up to a point where it bonded to the glass and the body shell. The element wire stays with the seal for life or until you remove the screen.
Just trim the wires off. If you've pulled them make sure you don't have a screen leak."

Mystery solved.

A.

1972 Honda cub
1984 Silver 2000i HPE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: