Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:16:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opinions needed - VX front splitter  (Read 3854 times)
megaera

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 11, 2017, 10:01:57 AM »

So - the front splitter/air dam on my VX Coupe is looking a little faded and has a slight grey-ish tinge.

Over the years, I have tried the Back to Black stuff - and more recently, I have been using Autoglym Rubber and Vinyl care - which is brilliant. However, I am looking for something a bit more long-term.

What is the general opinion on spraying/painting the splitter satin/matt black? Has anyone done this - or is it frowned upon as a no-no and non standard?

Any/all suggestions etc gratefully welcomed!
capriblu

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 06:02:26 PM »

Sometimes faded black rubber trim parts need something a bit more than the usual vinyl/rubber restorers to get depth of black sheen back.

I have used this product for many years on 911 tail and lip rubber spoilers - usually dilute slightly with something like Armorall and apply with small pan cleaner sponge.   Black Colour Magic would probably work well.   Definitely would try to avoid painting .....

!980 2.0 Coupe - Owned since 1990
megaera

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 09:07:21 PM »

Thanks for that - I will definitely try the CarPlan stuff. Good tip with the pan cleaner Wink
squiglyzigly

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2017, 09:17:21 AM »

I repainted mine a year ago using professional bodyshop paints which are readily available to DIY'ers.
Sanded it down to bare plastic to remove previous bad paint jobs.
Primed with plastic primer (this is key if you want your new paint to stay on. Its readily available in aerosol)
Primed with 2k high build primer to repair stone chips, minor marks (you can skip this if your spoiler is in good nick)
Sprayed base coat 2k black
Lacquered with 2k 'Matt' lacquer.

Looks very original and 'as new'
Will never fade again. 

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
megaera

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 07:34:26 PM »

I repainted mine a year ago using professional bodyshop paints which are readily available to DIY'ers.
Sanded it down to bare plastic to remove previous bad paint jobs.
Primed with plastic primer (this is key if you want your new paint to stay on. Its readily available in aerosol)
Primed with 2k high build primer to repair stone chips, minor marks (you can skip this if your spoiler is in good nick)
Sprayed base coat 2k black
Lacquered with 2k 'Matt' lacquer.

Looks very original and 'as new'
Will never fade again. 

I do like the idea of the colour not fading! I was dubious as to the quality of finish - whether it would look really naff and an obvious paint-over job - but from what you say, that is not the case? I don't suppose you have any photos you could post?

One point which worries me, though......I thought 2k primer and lacquer both required a hardener - which contained isocyanate and therefore could only be done in a spray booth with full respiratory kit Shocked

Could you possibly elaborate on the brand/manufacturer of the paints etc required? I don't fancy getting the wrong stuff and frazzling my lungs Wink

Thanks for your help - much appreciated
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 08:17:47 PM »

I reckon it'll look fine especially if colour matched to the back sills. I do think they look odd if done body color though, black or dark grey is definitely the way to go. I do think a pair of fog lights sets it off nicely too, rectangular carellos with the white plastic covers were the official option at the time.  
megaera

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 11:11:52 PM »

Thanks Alan! I agree with your point about being body coloured. I've seen a few VXs in photos and for sale with coloured splitters and it does seem.......wrong. Maybe because it is not the factory "look"?

I shall give it a whirl....exactly as described by squiglyzigly. If I get it wrong and it looks pants, I shall strip it and think again (or pay a pro Roll Eyes)
squiglyzigly

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 08:37:07 AM »

You are correct in your health and safety assessments and I would not recommend or encourage you to take any risks with your health. If you don't have the equipment to use these paints then a local body shop is the way forward. Personally I use a quality anatomical fit carbon filtered mask specified for high voc's. But again, my choice and I don't promote this.

Paint manaufacter is not as variable as the bad old days. I have used many different manufacturers of 2k paint and haven't come across a bad one yet.

If I can work out how to post a pic then I'll put it on. But Matt black always photographs well due to low reflection.

* IMG_0846.JPG (248.27 KB, 974x725 - viewed 414 times.)

megaera

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 12:08:58 PM »

Thanks for the photo - the splitter looks excellent....as does your VX. The Integrale wheels really suit it!

Is the car colour the lighter silver or the darker grey (679/f)? I find it hard to tell in photos, as the colour seems to change depending on the light/conditions when the image was taken.....I think it is the lighter silver? Maybe my phone screen is too small Smiley

Your info regarding the carbon filter mask is very interesting. Although I am fully aware of the dangers of 2k hardeners, maybe the recommendation of fullface air-fed gubbins is a bit OTT!

Great info, much appreciated.
squiglyzigly

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 12:29:35 PM »

Thanks for the compliment. I'm afraid the colour is wrong. When I set about 'doing the car up', I never set out to restore it to original.  sorry to offend die hard beta fans.
The colour is in fact Alfa Romeo Nuovola Blue. Hence the colour flip. You may remember 156 147 alfas sporting the colour a few years back.

Enough of my car, sorry to high jack the thread.

Ian

megaera

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 01:09:57 PM »

Didn't the GTV phase 2 come in that colour as well? Sorry - hijacking my own thread here.....I'm am also an Alfa fan/owner (GT 3.2)

Great colour in the sunlight Wink
squiglyzigly

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »

Ah yes you're right. The GTV also appeared in that colour. It may have been an option across the range at that time. I believe it was a £1500 option (ouch).  And having done the spray job in that colour, I now appreciate the extra prep work Involved. It shows every mark if you're not meticulous.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: