Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:27:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble with engine mount and Gearbox sitting on Subframe  (Read 3612 times)
archigraphe

« on: July 02, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »

Hi All,

Past Month, I had some trouble with the  engin, I heard some "Clonk Clonk" when I decelerate on road, after a regards on the engine I saw the gearbox was literraly sit on the subframe.

I look to the Gearbox rear mount , and decide to change it. The things go well and the gearbox stand up of one inch ..

Last week I heard the same clonk...And look directly to the gearbox... sit on the subframe......

What do you think of this trouble ? I ask here the dims of the steady bar ? may be wrong , on my 76 Beta 2ltr, the steady from hole to hole measure : 47cm (18.50 inch).

Thank you for your return.

rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 11:59:30 AM »

Difficult question! Have you checked the front mount that's fitted dropped inside the subframe, also engine dampers (if you have them, from the year of your car I'm not sure as it could be S1 of which most,or all, are without.....doh! 2 litre so series 2 😂) they either go completely loose or seize up solid. Also condition of the subframe underneath the gearbox mount support, this is prone to cracking and I suppose in a severe case might sink a bit.
I'm afraid I don't know the steady bar dimension for early cars.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 10:42:21 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 03:45:16 PM »

The steady bar should be the same for all S2 2 litre cars I would have thought? Or at least the carb ones?

Sorry I do not have one to measure, just the 1600, is that the same part as well?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
archigraphe

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 08:59:40 PM »

Ok I m posting some photo of the situation.

The steady bar of the 84 beta are a little more lenght : 51cm as the front of the car is a liitle different from the earlier and late version.

peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 09:06:49 PM »

Just checked the 76 parts book and the 1.6 and 2 litre parts are the same, except the berlina which has a different part nos.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
archigraphe

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 07:48:35 AM »

Do You think the steady bar is the only source officielle trouble for this problem? 
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 07:57:22 AM »

Has the gearbox mounting failed again or is there another reason why the gearbox sits too low? I can't see the steady bar being the cause it is just one item of many that keep the engine/gearbox in position.
archigraphe

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 11:08:22 AM »

The Bush of the bar have never been changed, there is more of a 1cm between hole.
The first gearbox mount was 2 years old.   

I have to check the metal part of the mount   it is fix on subframe with 3 screw.  I remember when I change the engine, I had big difficult to fix the rear screw.

rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 09:18:32 PM »

I've tried to photograph the the main mounts (my subframe is out of the car so easier to see detail).

Mount at cam belt end, note that it straddles the subframe and sits on a rubber buffer that is set in the top of the subframe. This mount tends to get very oily and the rubber goes soft. The mount at the front of the car is set inside the subframe and when old the rubber de-laminates from the metal parts.
https://goo.gl/photos/bDrDcqgUAKzqrD8y7
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:20:28 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: