Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:25:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: fixing door cards  (Read 5544 times)
spydervx

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 09, 2009, 08:45:28 PM »

My spyder series 1 / 2 brown tan door cards have always been distorted and the top "hooks" lift away from the slots on the inner top face of the door when the pull handle fixings are tightened up.

Has anyone else experience and / or solutions to this problem.

I would prefer not to have to mechanically fix the panel to the door with screws that are visible from the interior.

Any thoughts are appreciated

thanks

Spydervx

Lancia Beta Spyder vx 77
Lancia Beta Coupe 2.0 78
Alfa gtv 3.0 v6 lusso 98
Suzuki Jimny SZ5 2019
Suzuki gs500 99
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »

I had this  - the only way to fix it for good is to remake the door panel. If you're careful you can prise out the staples and peel back the covering + foam to leave just the board. The board can then be used as a template for a new one - I used ply and varnished it so it's waterproof. Before you put the cover back on you can repair any tears in the dark brown with brown insulating tape on the inside - it's almost a perfect colour match !

When putting it back 6mm capive (AKA cage) nuts work well to hold the door handle in place and Delta trim clips hold the panel much more firmly than the old ones. You might just try this with your original panel before resorting to re making it but I suspect it will still pull away.

BTW There is one fixing screw that's visible on all the betas I've seen - right in the corner near the mirror.

Regards,
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 08:58:10 PM »

I too had them remade, as the hardboard backing "blows" once it gets wet.  The importance of ensuring the plastic covers that sandwich between the card and the panel are the key to stopping this from happening in the future.  Also keeping your drain holes in the door clear too.

I had mine remade by a car trimmer for £100 but that was back in 1998/99 (ish) - well worth it though.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
spydervx

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 07:44:15 PM »

thanks guys, very useful feedback.

I have a spare set of cards but not a lot of cash at the moment so will start with these and see if I can fabricate as HFStuart.  If not will approach the trimmers.

Thanks

Spydervx

Lancia Beta Spyder vx 77
Lancia Beta Coupe 2.0 78
Alfa gtv 3.0 v6 lusso 98
Suzuki Jimny SZ5 2019
Suzuki gs500 99
TonyLanciaBeta
Administrator

England England

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 08:28:23 PM »

a couple of years ago my door cards became very loose, all the clips lost their grip

I found replacing the old Beta ones with Delta clips held much better, you need to remove the small plastic sockets on the doors as the new clips are a larger diameter

the Fiat part number was 14191280 cost me 10p per clip
I'm sure they should still be available from Fiat ?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:54:52 PM by TonyLanciaBeta » Logged

Tony Harrison - Farnborough, Hants
1981 Beta Coupe 1600
1981 Beta Coupe 2L(being restored slowly)
2012 Ypsilon (daily)
spud

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 11:07:51 PM »

Really old thread I know but always relevant I feel. I can confirm the Fiat part number 14191280 (thanks TonyLanciaBeta!) does still exist because I've just bought some for my VX door cards which I'm remaking in 4mm plywood before retrimming them. There are 7 on each door card so I ordered 30 to allow a few extra for the rear 'cards' (which are rigid plastic incidentally) and to have some spare for the ones I lose/break. I can confirm they are indeed a perfect fit directly into the door holes and, although I haven't actually fitted them yet, I can tell they will have a very firm grip so even if you're not remaking your cards and just want to refix your loose cards to your doors they will pull them back into shape nicely.

Andrew.

Montecarlo S2 Spyder
HPE VX
Y10 GTi.e. x2
Various other non Lancia projects...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: