Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:50:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Engine upgrade from 1600 to 2000  (Read 2885 times)
betasulo

« on: July 23, 2016, 12:57:28 PM »

Dear all,

I am hoping to upgrade the 1600cc engine on my series 1 coupe to a 2000cc monticarlo engine. I was wondering if this is possible and would it fit the gear box of my coupe? Furthermore could a monticarlo gear box be used on a coupe?
Any information would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Sulo
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 04:46:25 PM »

Hi

Aside from the issue about the bonnet on the series 1 coupe being different allegedly due to the block height difference, I think you may need a different exhaust manifold, again due to block height difference and I am sure someone will say if the cam boxes are different between the Monte and the normal Beta. Probably the best person to answer this whole question is Eric who has in depth knowledge of the Monte and Beta engine bays, and hence the differences...

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 07:38:31 AM »

Why would you put a Monte engine and gearbox in a beta???

The distributor will hit the bonnet - cam box swap needed
The sump and oil pump will have to be swapped for Beta items
The rear engine mount will have to spaced and will be missing the locating dowels
The Oil Filter/alternator block would be swapped to get the alternator lower

The gearbox has an annoying very low first gear and Monte owners fit Beta 2000 gears or converted VX gearboxes where they can
The gearbox casings would need swapping along with the selector top assembly to suit the Beta gear change
The final drive would need the engine side flange removed to fit the beta sliding drive shaft.
The clutch arm assembly from a Beta would be needed to replace the Monte hydraulic set up.

There will be others I have forgotten so please save your self a nightmare and find a Beta 2000 engine and box in decent condition.

Cheers

Eric

Good Luck   
betasulo

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 07:05:24 PM »

Thanks Eric and Peter,

This is all very sound advice. The owner of the Monticarlo has got down a high compression engine and I asked for the old engine as It seems to be in good shape. If it is more trouble than expected I will have to rethink the whole project.

Once again cheers
Kind regards
Sulo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: