Lancia Beta Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:07:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What size exhaust diameter for performance  (Read 4475 times)
betasulo

« on: April 01, 2016, 02:55:21 AM »

Dear all,
Since I had my exhaust done on my 1600 series1 coupe the exhaust note is rather unimpressive and I feel lacking in performance. The engine and carb are stock standard. Would anyone know how large the exhaust diameter I could go upto without losing back pressure and therefore performance?
Any replies would be highly appreciated.

Kind regards
Sulo.
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:37:51 AM »

Before you buy a entire new system you should look at the bends in the system i.e. are they smooth mandrel bends or crinkled/ reduced pipe diameter. Also look at the silencers e.g. are they straight through with the same pipe diameter or in and out via baffles. A change of silencers may be all you need.

If you want to do this properly then read Guy Croft's books on exhaust system (the original would probably be right for you).

To add performance the CSC systems are good or using the Ansa 1600 manifold with the system from a 2000 behind it. But an Exhaust will at best free 10BHP with carb head and cam changes needed for more performance.

Eric
betasulo

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2016, 07:05:47 PM »

Hi Eric,
Thanks for the quick response. I had a close look and found that the bend over the rear suspension was crinkled and smaller diameter after the baffle. I have been dreaming of an Ansa manifold. As I am taking part in a historic hill climb which was first started by your forefathers (please see Mahagastota hill climb)
I hope to do a local repair until I can invest in a better exhaust system.

Kind regards
Sulo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: