Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:50:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Did your mother tell you not to pick scabs?  (Read 6066 times)
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: June 27, 2015, 07:08:58 PM »

She may have been right!

I had a small scab burst at the bottom of the B Pillar after I got back from Betameeta. I had a good dig at it today and found this:

Personally I blame the Yorkshire weather

The outer edge of the floorpan has gone in a couple of place too

Actually I thought it might be worse as I know this area needs attention on the drivers side.

These aren't the biggest holes ever but they are in a complicated area where five panels join. I do have a complete 3/4 panel that includes the B pillar outer. Question is do I cut that panel to get a quick repair piece exactly the right shape or do I save the panel and try to fabricate something? I'll make up a bit of channel to repair the floor.

rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 10:43:16 PM »

I don't think that's too disastrous, all betas seem to suffer there. My experience is more with coupe than spider but on the coupe the structural strength is more in the sill which is actually behind the rear wing section. This means that it is not as structurally serious as might appear at first glance. Perhaps you can get an inspection camera down there to look inside? If you don't have one they are handy little tools not perfect but can be picked up for around £40 these days, lidl had one on offer recently or an alternative is a cheap USB connecting camera from China but be careful to get one narrow enough to go in tight places.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:31:07 AM »

Alan,

I agree that structurally it's not that serious - still an MOT fail though!

Having thought about it over a few beers I think the best way is to use part of the 3/4 panel. That way I've got at least part of the job exactly the right shape so I can reference of it.

The inspection camera is a good idea. What I can see of the inner sills looks and sounds very solid but it would be good to have a gander.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »

Would that fail an mot? Not sure. I find mot standards a bit odd at times 
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 01:05:22 PM »

Would that fail an mot? Not sure. I find mot standards a bit odd at times 

Within 3" (or is it 5"?) of a seat belt anchorage, so my guess would be yes.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 01:54:57 PM »

With carpet and door rubber in place on most cars they'd never spot this of course! But irrespective needs sorting out before it gets deeper
betabuoy

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 11:13:22 PM »

Although I was under supervision, it was over similar sized holes in the same area that I first struck my coupe with the wonderful torch.  For me, small fabricated panels did the trick on the topsides but once I started poking around underneath, I soon got out of my depth.

I'd be having a good prod at the floor edges before committing to using your panel. If the floor's good, fabricated patches should see you right for a few more years.

Fingers crossed!

1979 Beta Coupe S2FL (1st registered May 1983!)
1967 Morris Minor Traveller
1925 Austin 7 Chummy
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 11:42:53 PM »

I know the feeling my vx looked excellent but once stripped it's been off the road for donkeys years ( admittedly mainly due to my slow progress but still a lot of work!), I think this area is one of the first to deteriorate on coupes/hpe (and presumably spiders too) not least because the wing panel appears to simply be layered on top of the actual structure with little,protection at the seams. I'd say it's best to cut back quite generously then make up repair plates to shape, hopefully not too bad I wouldn't spoil any oe panels cutting them
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 11:06:03 PM »

Alans comment on this turned out to me quite accurate

Today I finally got a chance to look into this. I thought I'd carefully cut a piece from the new 1/4 panel, using a spot weld cutter to minimise the damage and let the new piece into the bottom of the B pillar

Spot welds cut out

Piece removed

And a perfect fit

Sadly as I cut back I found all was not well. This is really annoying as it's the only replacement panel on the car and it's let the moisture in to attack the sill - forward of the B pillar the sill is as solid as you like.

Here you can see the bottom of the B pillar (solid thankfully) and how the 1/4 panel has been layered on top of part of another, whether the original Spider panel or what was left of the coupe base from the original build I don't know

So....
Clearly the sill needs repair and I'll need access to get to it.
I could cut the panel to the along the lower swage line as far as the wheelarch, repair the sill and then make good or I could remove the whole 1/4 panel, repair the sill and put the new one on. Paint will be needed either way.

I'm unsure which to go for at the moment  - they both have their problems and merits.

I should point out the rear outer wheelarch needs some bubbling sorted and the alignment of the panel isn't 100% at the rear panel / boot join.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: