Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:15:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Radiator Fan Thermostat  (Read 29377 times)
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« on: April 18, 2015, 11:25:00 AM »

Can this be removed in situ, or does the radiator need to come out? (1300 Coupe).
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 11:39:49 AM »

It can be unscrewed in situ.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 03:14:13 PM »

Thanks Stuart. Presume it's just a matter of having the correct size/length spanner to get in there?
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 05:14:17 PM »

Yes - IIRC in though the NS wheel arch or up from underneath works best
abgwin

United States United States

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 11:48:40 PM »

Am I hallucinating, or did they move this on the later 2.0 fuel injected version so that it's actually facing outward under the front bumper?

The draincock faces inward, into the engine compartment, as well, making draining the thing a complete mess.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 06:57:09 AM »

Am I hallucinating, or did they move this on the later 2.0 fuel injected version so that it's actually facing outward under the front bumper?

The draincock faces inward, into the engine compartment, as well, making draining the thing a complete mess.

The late radiators are quite a bit different, but I seem to remember the thermostat on my injection car still facing into the engine compartment. When I bought the car it was broken, and jury rigged so the fan was always on, so it was one of the first things I fixed. It is 25 years ago though!
cheeky monkey

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2015, 06:13:40 PM »

Hi Neil
sorry bit late on reply. You've prob already changed, but if not, as Stuart says it can be done in situ and reached from underneath. Its quite chunky - 30mm
G
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 09:27:47 PM by cheeky monkey » Logged

Graham

1979 beta coupe 1300
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »

As Stuart says this is surprisingly accessible once the n/s front wheel and splash guard is off.

Anyway, I thought I'd check the wiring first, as I would have had to fit new connectors for the thermostat that I had bought (spade terminals rather than wired in). I used a length of wire to bypass the thermostat but the fan wasn't coming on. I then wired the fan straight to the battery and it worked OK.

In my electrics kit I found a switch that fitted exactly into the fan end connector block. This was triggering the fan relay when I threw the switch, but it only triggered the fan about once in every five clicks. Checking the relay it was loose in the fuse box. Once pushed home the fan came on every time I threw the switch. I swapped the fan relay with the (redundant) electric window relay as a precaution.

So, I've left the thermostat in for now. In the event that that is faulty too, my switch that I found can be fitted in about thirty seconds to bypass the thermostat.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 01:49:33 PM by Neil-yaj396 » Logged
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 03:16:58 PM »

The saga continues!

Having tested the old thermostat with the cleaned up wiring and swapped relay it still didn't work. Facing a 400 mile plus journey this weekend I fitted the spare that I had bought.

That worked fine for a whole day; the fan reassuringly coming on as I parked in the hotel car park on Friday afternoon, then working ok through the 60 mile drive yesterday. However, this morning when I started the car the fan was on, and has stayed on since.

I take it this can only be caused by a faulty unit? The fan goes off if you disconnect a terminal from the thermostat.
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 03:43:38 PM »

Nothing else besides a faulty sender would make sense under the conditions you've described.
If it wasn't making connection, the supply would be unable to pass to the fan.
Faulty thermosensers aren't always old ones that have many years and miles on them.
I actually have a Peugeot unit in mine and it's been flawless in operation for the five years it's been installed.

Rust never sleeps
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2015, 06:12:38 PM »

I actually have a Peugeot unit in mine and it's been flawless in operation for the five years it's been installed.

Any idea which Peugeot it was off? There is a fairly limited supply of Beta ones at the moment.
droptop

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 07:29:29 AM »

Any idea which Peugeot it was off? There is a fairly limited supply of Beta ones at the moment.

Being a bit of a hoarder, I found the 2010 invoice and it's an intermotor part no. INT50100 costing €12.55 from my local motor factor.
i've also used a spare Beta item in my Mk1 Golf GTI with great success so that's also a prospect.
Once the thread is the same and the temperature range is similar, I expect you'll be safe.
i did notice thet the carb models need to be at full temperature to run at their best so as close in temp to OE would obviously be the best choice.
I've just done a quick search but the Intermotor catalogue won't let me enter a part number to find the model so that part number is all I have but it does work!

Rust never sleeps
droptop

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 05:31:39 PM »

i visited my ever so helpful motor factor today and they tell me that 'stat was from a 1975 to 1977 Peugeot 204 and 1985 to 1991 Peugeot 505 deisel 2.5l

Rust never sleeps
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 05:53:15 PM »

Thanks Frank. For info there are loads of Intermotor 50100 thermostats on ebay. I've ordered one for £10 and I'll report back on how I get on.
droptop

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 06:25:16 AM »

It amazes me that you can get a stat for a car line a Pug 204 and not a Beta.
Anyone know of a Peugeot 204 club?

Rust never sleeps
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 06:34:57 AM »

It amazes me that you can get a stat for a car line a Pug 204 and not a Beta.
Anyone know of a Peugeot 204 club?

It fits a Yugo as well! I guess they were just made in large quantities for cars that no longer exist, so lots left on the self?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 07:54:56 AM »

Well yugo = fiat so good chance it fits many lancias. These older pattern parts are often listed in a vague fashion but with a bit of effort you can identify the right bits, there is also the disadvantage that parts listed as correct sometimes aren't though! With sensors in many cases it's simply the connectors that vary which is easily solved
droptop

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 10:21:41 PM »

Well yugo = fiat so good chance it fits many lancias. These older pattern parts are often listed in a vague fashion but with a bit of effort you can identify the right bits, there is also the disadvantage that parts listed as correct sometimes aren't though! With sensors in many cases it's simply the connectors that vary which is easily solved

Ebay is currently the source of Beta thermostats which are listed for all models but are in fact only suited to Montecarlos as they have a 45 degree turn on the through pipe which is the bar of the "tee" shape as used in FWD Betas.
Another thermostat offered by several suppliers is actually an in-head type so you do need to exercise caution

Rust never sleeps
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2015, 12:22:44 PM »

Well, I can confirm that the 50100 switch fits. In fact it appeared identical to the failed unit that I'd bought in March as a Beta one, although once screwed in the terminals sat vertically, rather than horizontal, suggesting the thread might be a bit shorter.

Anyway, fingers crossed that it's third time lucky on tackling this job and this unit will be reliable.
betabuoy

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2015, 12:29:39 PM »

Neil

If still no joy - and you're confident the wiring is correct - I might have a spare in my garage at Cranwell.  Just let me know if you need it. 

As you say... fingers crossed!

Chris

1979 Beta Coupe S2FL (1st registered May 1983!)
1967 Morris Minor Traveller
1925 Austin 7 Chummy
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: