Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:46:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Spider Lens  (Read 6735 times)
slowe

« on: January 02, 2015, 11:07:36 PM »

Hope you can help.

I have just acquired a Spider on an 'S' plate (I think a 1978) and have noticed that the rear lights have different shaped reflectors. I have an odd spare pair but I don't know which ones are correct for the age of car. It is a 2 litre with oblong headlights. 

Any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks
Simon  

* P1010378.JPG (646.57 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 589 times.)
angelom

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 11:13:25 AM »

Hi Simon

From what I have researched, the 1978 series 1 spyder should have the "thin reflector". he larger lenses were predominately use for USA cars and some later series 2 cars. if your interested to make them the same, I can help you as I have remanufactured them. Just PM me .
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 04:33:32 PM »

Hi Simon

From what I have researched, the 1978 series 1 spyder should have the "thin reflector". he larger lenses were predominately use for USA cars and some later series 2 cars. if your interested to make them the same, I can help you as I have remanufactured them. Just PM me .

Hi Angelo, Simon

The Series 1 never came as 2 litre, so definitely a S2 and 78 would indicate probably a facelift, a black interior would most likely confirm it. I would suspect that the larger reflector is most likely the original type if it is, but not sure when they changed. I know there are a few S2 pre f/l cars with the larger reflector and think it was only the early ones which had the carry over from the S1 with the smaller reflector.

Simon, if you wanted to swap the small reflector for a large one, I would be interested as have a few of the large ones in my spares stock. If you want to go small reflector, then Angelo is your man.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 05:34:55 PM »

Peter,

78 on an S is most likely a S2 pre F/L - both of my 78 cars (an S and  T) were pre F/L. I think the oblong lights were only used on the pre F/l cars too.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 08:53:11 PM »

Oblong lights always series 2 but 2 litre only, that's for coupe and Spider/spyder (I or Y depending which way the wind was blowing.....seen either way on official literature), to confuse matters I believe all pre facelift HPE had oblong lights even series one and 1.6
slowe

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:45:36 PM »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and solutions.

The ones pictured are my spare ones. Confusingly the car came with different rear lights and fortunately the spare ones make two matching pairs. It's just a case of identifying the correct pair for the age of car, however it seems that it is not so straight forward. The interior is tan in colour if that makes it any easier to identify.

Thanks once again

Simon
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 11:07:38 PM »

Hi Simon

Tan is pre f/l.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
slowe

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 10:11:19 PM »

Thanks Peter - I think I may have a mix 'n' match !

Cheers
angelom

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 06:14:28 AM »

Hi Slowe , Post a pic of your spyder when you have a chance, always interested to see another one. 

I think almost every Spyder owner has experienced the dreaded mismatched tail light syndrome so its a good thing that you actually had a spare mismatched set, that actually made two matching sets !! what are the chances of that happening !

I just heard an interesting story that a local guy purchased a 2nd spyder, just to swap the mismatched tail lights around so he could get his personal one fixed- wow what a length to go to.. then again I did go down the path of remanufacturing the bloody things. actually buying another spyder would of been cheaper :-)
slowe

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 10:03:51 PM »

Hi Angelom,

You've got to love 'em to go to the remanufacturing stage! Fortunately I haven't had to go down the line of multiple car purchases, I haven't got any more room.  I will take some pics asap, however the car is wedged in my garage at present and rather dusty.

Cheers
zagato8182

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 03:23:04 AM »

The smaller rectangular red reflector was used for the USA market only and the longer red reflector was Wink for the European market and elsewhere. Wink
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: