Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:16:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Drive belt tensioning  (Read 3288 times)
abgwin

United States United States

« on: September 15, 2014, 02:18:51 AM »

Just replaced my timng belt and now putting the drive belts back in place.

Can not figure out how you're supposed to tension the 'middle' belt that drives power steering.

I got the alternator/water pump ('top') belt and the air conditioner compressor ('bottom') belt tensioned about right but I can not figure out how to take out the slack in the power steering.

In the photo, you can see the bottom A/C bracket and the power steering adjustment nut (I think it's also the pivot stud for the A/C bracket). I can pry up on the adjustment flange but it just doesn't move enough - it needs to slide to the adjuster's end. Or is that how it's done?

Suggestions appreciated!
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:29:21 PM »

Not familiar with ac cars on this side of the pond of I get chance I will check of I have any info but lancisti is probably your best bet for an answer
lukasdeopalenica

Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 07:50:25 AM »

I always tension the belt in such a way that the belt bends between the two pulleys about 1cm under my finger. To increase the tension I use a lever placed between the alternator and engine. This should be fine also in your case with AC compressor..

Lancia Beta HPE 2000i.e. '82 rosso corsa
SAAB 900i 16V Aero, '93 solid black
Subaru Outback 3.0R
Honda CB125 K6 '76 electric blue
Specialized Epic & Stumpjumper
abgwin

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »

Turns out that the power steering pump has a vertical rod to control the tension. A square nut on top moves it until the lower adjustment stud/nut can be secured.

Yes, you can use a lever to move the A/C compressor and tension it, but the power steering has a different mechanism. Not sure if this only applies to later model with A/C; perhaps if there's no A/C there's no need for the vertical rod, as you can get a lever on it directly.

Sure wish my shop manual had late model info in it!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: