Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:34:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello all! A little bit about my project..  (Read 2300 times)
Alsace Stradale

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: May 06, 2020, 01:24:37 PM »

Good afternoon everyone,

At 20 I am probably the youngest person out there to be in possession of a Series 1 Beta. I'm doing a full rebuild, and am currently in the process of rebuilding the 1.6 HF turbo engine (does anyone know which turbo oil feed is which?) and patching up the rust on the shell, along with strengthening it for better handling. It's a tasteful but not faithful build (I am for instance completely replacing the wiring and interior with my own design, based on the interior of the 037 Stradale homologation model), and making the car as light as possible. It should be a bit of a rocket when finished!

I happen to know the subject of composite manufacturing inside and out as a result of the best university course in Europe for motorsport, thus I'm constructing woven carbon-fibreglass doors and bonnet to eliminate at least 120kg. I don't mean to plug on here but if anyone is interested in getting some extremely light body panels then feel free to send me an email.

Couple of questions; I need a new windscreen. Does anyone know the best place to get hold of one at a good price? And I'd like to get hold of the dimensions needed for constructing a front strut-brace. (current condition of the car means I cannot use it's own)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 12:41:40 AM by Alsace Stradale » Logged
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 02:37:56 PM »

Hi

Ok, a little confused here. Which Series 1 Beta are you talking about (Monte perhaps given the 037 ref)?

Also not sure where the Grale engine comes into the build?

A little more info will help to understand where you are starting from and going to!

Thanks

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 06:50:01 PM »

Hi, always good to know there are younger people out there with a passion for old italian metal!

The engine you mention could be a 1.6 Delta HF Turbo (carb engine, exhaust on the left if you look at the timing belt end)  a 1.6 Delta HFie Turbo (Injection, exhaust on the right) or a 2.0 Integrale. It can't be a 1.6 Integrale!

As Peter said a little more detail and a pic or two would be great.

Alsace Stradale

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 12:41:13 AM »

Evening,

Good to hear from both of you.

Reading my post after your replies I realise you're both absolutely right! The engine is out of an original carbureted 1.6 HF turbo (not integrale). I'll get a picture to show what I mean, however where could I find an exploded diagram for the oil filter 'module' so to speak?

It's a 1975 spyder, and as for the query on the interior, I am constructing my own dashboard from scratch to proportionally and aestheitcally liken itself to this, due to the condition I found the original one in: https://garagedreams.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Buy-a-Lancia-037.jpg

Cheers!

Luis

WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 08:33:34 AM »

Hi Luis

Is this a Beta Spyder i.e. 2+2 front engine or Montecarlo Spyder mid engine rear wheel drive? I have both but need to know which to help.

Thanks

Eric
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 09:39:21 AM »

If it's a 1975 Beta Spider S1 then it's so rare I'd caution against interior mods.

Alsace Stradale

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 03:52:45 PM »

Afternoon chaps,

To clear this up, it really is a 1975 Spyder (not a Montecarlo), complete with full Zagato seats. Originally it came with a standard 1600 Beta engine, 2+2, front wheel drive. but when I found it two years ago, those who didn't know what it was would've let it sink into the gravel. Not me. Rest assured I'm saving as much of it as I can!

The 1.6 HF Turbo engine was indeed the one I found in it. Whoever had it last hadn't finished installing it and was clearly making a rush job of it. Missing all engine ancillaries (turbo, carburettor, hoses, you name it basically..), with loose bolts in frankly baffling places and completely seized at the cylinder walls. The most upsetting thing was that someone had clearly towed it out of a hedge using a tractor and had attached tow ropes to the rear wishbones, completely bending them out of shape and ruining the rear tracking (play a sad song here).

I'll attach a picture of it when I got it.

Cheers

Luis
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 03:56:42 PM by Alsace Stradale » Logged
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 10:40:17 PM »

Hi

Is that engine with the inlet ports at the front like normal Betas or with the reverse ports as per later engines?

The project sounds like a labour of love. Even the rear ‘wishbones’ are different on the early cars to the later ones and hence more difficult to find, though they could be fabricated if need be.

Some photos of it would be interesting, who would have thought we would have 2 x Series 1 Spyders talked about in the same week...... The first time I have seen reference to one in a very long time.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
George-S

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 12:21:40 AM »

Hiya Luis.

Your not the only one! I am 22 and started my refurb on my beta coupe 4 years ago when I was 18!

Like everyone else some photos would be awsome.
Also highly recommend joining the Facebook groups they are super useful for parts hunting.

Cheers George

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: