Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:46:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Removing Spider Windscreen - advice needed  (Read 5803 times)
Artur

Poland Poland

« on: August 01, 2013, 10:21:22 PM »

Hello,

I'd appreciate your advice on removing the windscreen from my 1976 Spider.

The car finally went to the paint shop, the windscreen was supposed to be removed today, but after looking at it for an hour or so we've decided to suspend it and use the opportunity to ask on the forum here, not to spoil anything.

What I see from the outside is just the chrome trim (consisting of L & R parts connected in the middle) and no gum.
From the inside I see the a bit corrugated rubber seal.

Is it a bonded windscreen?
What is the shape of the seal, how is the trim fixed in it? I'd really appreciate a photo or a drawing if anyone has it.

Would anyone have an advice how to start with it?
I wouldn't like have the glass damaged when levering the trim...

Thank you!

Artur
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 07:13:05 AM »

Hi Artur

If this is a 76 Spyder, then you are in for a few fun filled hours with a sharp knife (Stanley or other).

If this is the original fitting of the screen then it was stuck in using a a system which placed the sticky stuff as a solid 'rope' around where screen was to fit. The rope had a conductor down its middle which had a current passed through it to warm and soften it, so that the screen and surround could be 'glued' in place.

So you need to first, using the blade of the knife, use as thin as you can get, get between the trim and the glas and cut the 'glue' to release the trim, be careful not to distort it as pretty fragile, patience is required for all of this!

Then when the trim is removed, you can see where you next have to cut, but be wary of the wire, which does cause extra pain. You will probably have to use the knife from both outside and inside the car to get the 'glue' cut away. Eventually you will find parts of the screen will be able to lift slightly, just keep working at it until all of it is clear, then you need to lift out and clean up what is left on the trim and a screen.

Best of luck, I have done this three times, not enjoyable and does take a fair amount of time.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 12:40:48 PM »

Peter,

Is this easier with the dash out or does it not make much difference?
Artur

Poland Poland

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 01:17:23 PM »

Peter,

Thank you so much - couldn't expect better description!
Well - could expect easier task, I hope the screen remains untouched.

My dash is already away, the car looks as follows:

Artur

* 02.08.jpg (78.34 KB, 640x480 - viewed 586 times.)
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »

Peter,

Is this easier with the dash out or does it not make much difference?

Hi Stuart

I have done it both ways as it happens, cannot remember it being any more difficult with the dash in, just a pig getting the knife in far enough to release it. The fun then comes getting all the old stuff out.....

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Les 442

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 04:46:33 PM »

Another word of warning!
If you think you have been all round with the knife DOUBLE CHECK.
I made the mistake of thinking it was free an smashed my windscreen, they are VERY easy to break.
Artur

Poland Poland

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 05:50:17 PM »

Thanks for the warning.
I would be tempting after few hours of working, to have it done fast.
BTW - where did you get the new one from?
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 07:51:33 AM »

Another word of warning!
If you think you have been all round with the knife DOUBLE CHECK.
I made the mistake of thinking it was free an smashed my windscreen, they are VERY easy to break.

I did not find them that fragile. When it was almost free, I found a corner which would move a little with gentle pressure and then proceeded to work from it round the rest until all was free. There is definitely no point forcing the screen out, you have to cut the glue.

It is possible that the screen you had, had a weakness which became evident when you took it out?

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »

The Lancia method is to use a length of piano wire with two handles attached after it has been slipped through, two people then saw the screen out. As regards fragility if the screen has been hit at any time there can be hidden stress on the glass, removing the tension of the surround can sometimes cause it to crack when removed or even afterwards when stored funny stuff laminated glass

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:35:12 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
joe1999

New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 10:25:29 PM »

I used the piano wire method and after some time managed to get the screen out in tact the screen was wrapped in a couple of blankets stored out of the way up right on a rubber mat no one went near it and hey presto 3 weeks later on retrival a nice crack from bottom to top just add that we had no earthquakes in that period either go figure
Artur

Poland Poland

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 07:15:42 PM »

Hello,

Maybe the process is not much dynamic, but the trim is gone without any damage - neither to the glass nor the trim.
The method - the thin knife, starting from the bottom middle part where two pieces were connected.
Many, many (...) hours.

First I thought that it was already replaced before, because there was some amount of glue that apparently came from beneath the trim and could be found on the trim and the glass. But after trim removal I found everything like Peter had described, the wire etc. - all original.

Next step - the glass itself, will be cut out using the wire.
I'm a little bit afraid what happens next, because there is a tiny damage (white cross on the picture - seems like a regular stone caused one) that I indent to get fixed, but may cause a problem.

I've checked with Pilkington in Poland, they've had all Beta shields in the catalogue but nothing available, so I want strongly to believe that nothing happenes.

BTW - does anyone have any idea on the source of the windshield seal looking like original?

Artur
Artur

Poland Poland

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 08:22:39 PM »

Hello,

The windscreen is out - no damages.
Not with the wire, because of the rope inside - with the knive, starting from the upper side.

What I have observed is, that there were 2 ropes used to place it - first, as Peter had described above, around the place where the glass was coming in and the second in the outer part of the seal where the trim comes, also apparently surrounded by the glue, which was used to stick the chrome.
The second one made much more trouble..

Artur
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: