Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:20:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Volumex Fuel Injected Montecarlo  (Read 31591 times)
Ammy

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2016, 08:51:56 PM »

The only thing I recognise is the "cam-box" covers.  Wonderful ! ! !
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2016, 07:27:02 AM »

So the car now has a LOT of new wire and is very soon off to the Rolling Road now it has a working Link G4+ Fury ECU. I did not finish the Traction Control and I will now leave that until after the 3000 mile Turin trip with the Monte Consortium in mid September. I need the CNC shop to finish the trigger rings for the front hubs and I have to fabricate brackets for the Vauxhall Astra Crank sensors that act as signal pickups.

I am looking forward to using the Toucan sensor information display and just being able to drive the car again after so much change. A couple of pictures to entertain:

Cheers

Eric

* Monte Engine Bay (Medium).JPG (260.72 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 1041 times.)

* Monte Gauges (Medium).JPG (254.64 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 1087 times.)
Hawk

England England

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »

mmmm nice Smiley
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2018, 11:17:18 AM »

So Now the car has some new paint roll on Goodwood.

* Montecarlo Front (Medium).jpg (259.08 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 903 times.)

* Monte Interior (Medium).jpg (198.03 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 923 times.)

* Monte Engine Bay (Medium).jpg (275.87 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 889 times.)

* Monte Side View (Medium).jpg (226.69 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 863 times.)
squiglyzigly

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2020, 08:16:38 PM »

Super impressive work Eric. Bravo.

How did you get on with the 10:1 compression pistons? I’m looking into having some pistons made this year but wasn’t planning on changing the compression significantly, if at all.

Did the dyno yield good gains?

Cheers
Ian

VX HPE (resto started Sept ‘21)
Beta Saloon 2.0l s2 1979 (completed July 2020)
Beta coupé VX (completed April 2017)
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2020, 09:08:36 AM »

Hi Ian

Higher compression needs more control over ignition, consistent use of high octane fuel and the Cometic MLS gasket and ARP studs I use. I see around 300 BHP and 270 ft lbs of torque. It is frankly too much without great throttle control. If you build in turbo type mapped ignition with a sensor on the carb throttle spindle and better knock sensors as I have fitted it will make for a quick VX that does not die from detonation.

Eric

squiglyzigly

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2020, 05:28:34 PM »

Thanks Eric,
I thought it might be a little tricky controlling detonation with those boost+compression levels.
I’m currently on 9 psi with 8.5:1 and have the max advance held back to 29 degrees (+/-2 degrees flutter) or the detonation creeps in.
The new bottom end I intend building this year will be much the same as the current one but with forged pistons/rods, oil jets squirting from the main bearing caps like the fiat 1.2/1.4 16v engines and trigger wheel/sensor mounts for programmable ignition initially then ultimately FI.
So to keep it simple I think the current compression mark is a safe bet.

Do you have a preferred piston manufacturer?

Ian

WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2020, 05:08:44 PM »

Hi Ian

My pistons came from Guy Croft and were made by JE to his design parameters. I also have Cunningham Forged Rods in this engine which have oil spray to the pistons via grooves in the rod cheeks. No Oil Jet install required. If you fit mapped ignition from the start that has load via a map sensor you can dynamically back off the advance and get benefit from 10:1 pistons. Obviously having Knock sensors and water/ air temp is even better. I fitted a pair on the exhaust side of the block.

Anything you can do to reduce induction heat is a winner so no metal box on top of the engine picking up heat and no heated inlet manifold. 

Be aware FI on these engines is very tricky because of the airflow in balance. This is why I have the ECU I do and the Cam Phase sensor adapted from an Integrale for sequential ignition. DCOEs and DCNFs mask the problem at the expense of fuel economy.

Enjoy

Eric
squiglyzigly

« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2020, 11:55:30 AM »

Thanks Eric, some very good food for thought there to help me decide which direction to go on several aspects.

I like the thought of a knock sensor but thought it might be difficult to achieve properly.
Air/water/manifold and ambient pressure/T-pos sensors etc are a given imo. Will have to see how best to achieve knock installation.

Still considering a DCOE double throttle body type injection system for simplicity but I realise there are pros and cons to this setup.

Thanks again for the info.

WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2022, 06:43:20 PM »

Hi Folks

I am working away quietly on getting Electric AC into my Monte before heading to Turin in September this year. Slight understatement "this is a little complex" One of the elements is the Radiator with AC Condenser. The Monte original is not well suited to modern AC gas.
The Condenser comes from Car Builder solutions as does the core AC Heater unit. The Electric AC Compressor from Australia. I had 2 radiators made is it takes months to get this done so a spare was essential.

Enjoy

* Montecarlo AC Radiators Jan 2022 (Large).jpg (584.35 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 242 times.)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: