Lancia Beta Forum
April 20, 2024, 10:53:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sticky/Notchy throttle  (Read 3661 times)
gengis

« on: July 05, 2013, 10:20:51 PM »

This has bothered me since I got the Coupe.  I have just rebuilt my head, so I thought I would have a closer look.

With the cable free of the throttle body, the cable pulls and pushes the pedal smoothly.  Also the throttle body works in the correct manner.  But put the two of them together and the pedal feels notchy, especially when adjusted up to give full throttle, and at the other scale the throttle plate isn't returning properly to the stop screw.

I'm beginning to think it's the pedal fulcrum, which has two top hat nylon bearings.  Has anyone came across this issue? wouldn't think I'm the first...any clues?

John.

1983 - Lancia Beta Coupe
1982 - Fiat 124 Spider
2012 - Alfa Romeo Mito
2011 - Fiat Fiorino
2006 - BMW F800st
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 10:53:26 PM »

At full throttle does the end of the throttle cable (the swaged bit with the thread for the locknut) go inside the end of the throttle cable sleeve (the black plastic threaded bit)?

It was doing this on mine, the notchy sensation was the end of the cable catching as it slid inside the outer part.
gengis

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 12:54:31 AM »

Thanks for your comment HF Stuart...but I'm getting full travel of the throttle, without the inner binding on the outer cable.  My main problem is that it's sticky/notchy just off idle.  Not light and controllable.

Had a wee look today, concentrating on the pedal/bulkhead area.  I took the pedal spindle out and cleaned and greased it, further inspection of the upper pedal arm revealed that there should be a little expansion return spring between it an the pedal box.  The pedal feels slightly better with clean and grease, but I'm going to measure, and source this little spring tomorrow.

John.

1983 - Lancia Beta Coupe
1982 - Fiat 124 Spider
2012 - Alfa Romeo Mito
2011 - Fiat Fiorino
2006 - BMW F800st
thecolonel
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:50:57 PM »

Look under the carpet, I discovered 6 throttle springs
when I did a restoration years ago.
They didn't have time to pick them up on the production
line.