Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:20:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spyder lower fender extension re-make  (Read 2071 times)
Pee Vee

« on: June 13, 2013, 01:34:37 AM »

I was able to find a new left-hand lower fender extension for my Spyder restoration but not a right-hand one. In looking at it, it didn't seem like there were that many difficult bends in it so I thought I'd have a go at making one from scratch.

So I made a buck out of some red oak from a shipping pallet. I made it as a mirror image of the right-hand one.

Then I bought one of these really cheap sheet-metal brakes from a tool store we have over here called Harbor Freight. They don't sell what you would call professional grade tools but a lot of the stuff they have is very worthwhile.

After that, it was just putting the folds in and then beating the edge around the wooden buck. To do that, clamp the metal to the wood where you can and work it with a hammer around the edge.

Sanded it down with a DA sander once I beat down all the high spots

Holes added at the end.

After patching-up the bottom of the fender, I welded it on.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:14:52 PM by Pee Vee » Logged
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 07:39:32 AM »

Hi

And very nicely done too, this and the windows scraper repair are what the guys who restored my Spyder's body had to do and pretty much along the same lines.

Good to see it documented here for all, sadly I did not have any photos of when they did much of this work.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: