Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:08:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Window sweepers/belt line moulding  (Read 2496 times)
Pee Vee

« on: June 12, 2013, 01:52:31 PM »

Posted this over at Lancisti as a reply to someone that had a similar issue and I thought I'd re-post it over here. 

This seems to be somewhat common. I had a few doors, each door has an inner and an outer and probably 75% of the outers were either completely separated or had broken spot welds. None of the inners were. There are no clips.

Here is how I fixed mine.

First is a picture showing what happens, the spot welds break and the channel that holds the rubber separates from the channel that slides over the pinch weld on the top of the door. There is also a little plastic liner that goes in the part that goes over the pinch weld and little end caps as well. You need the liner but the end caps are sort of iffy looking so I left them off.

First thing you have to do is get the rubber out of the channel. With a little patience you can pry the channel open and slide out the rubber.

I went back and touched up the rubber with some RTV where the screwdriver exposed the metal spine of the rubber extrusion. I searched a little for new extrusions with the correct profile but could not find anything. I would have liked to have put new ones in.

Then I drilled out all the spot-welds on the channel that held the rubber and positioned it on the outer channel.

Then just weld it with a MIG welder. You don't need much of a weld.

Then slip the rubber back in and squeeze it shut.

Then put it on the car.

Really not all that hard except if you can't weld. Still, if you got it to the point that all you needed was for someone to zap it, I can't imagine a weld shop charging much to do it.

Good luck!
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 04:22:12 PM »

Pee Vee, that's a fantastic tip, its the little touches like that that help keep the cars on the road looking great.

These things are not always tremendously difficult but it helps no end when some one who has done the job before shares their experience and provides pictures too!

Fantastic sir, thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 09:28:29 PM »

Top tip!
Best,
Chas. Grin

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
Pee Vee

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 01:14:09 AM »

Wow, thank you!  Smiley
Has been up on that other board for four days and no one commented on it so I wasn't sure there was any value in it. Huh?
I'll post a few more jobs I have done if you guys like to see this sort of hands-on stuff. I'm sure others have done them before, and perhaps better than I have, but if it helps someone then it is worthwhile.
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 07:41:59 AM »

Hi

Not likely to be done much better I suspect, this was pretty much how the guys who worked on my car did it, but here it is in glorious colour for all to see.

Great job.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: