Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:21:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cam belt line  (Read 7115 times)
lukasdeopalenica

Australia Australia

« on: May 21, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »

I noticed recently that my cam belt runs close to the outer edges of pulleys, and looks almost like the cover stops it from falling down. Is that correct or at least safe? What should maintain the proper belt line? The tensioner is brand new and tightened correctly.

Lancia Beta HPE 2000i.e. '82 rosso corsa
SAAB 900i 16V Aero, '93 solid black
Subaru Outback 3.0R
Honda CB125 K6 '76 electric blue
Specialized Epic & Stumpjumper
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:38:40 PM »

Hi

I thought it was the lip on the cambelt pulley which provides a guide?

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 11:00:56 PM »

not all have a lip
Thotos

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 11:05:06 PM »

Not all twincam pulleys have lips. Not in Fiat applications anyway which can be a lot older than Lancia Betas. Early Fiat applications had plastic pulleys while I think Lancia always had metal pulleys. Some engines have lips at the front, some at the back, some one at the front and one at the back with or without lip on the auxiliary shaft pulley. The lips (if there) are for safety and the belt should not be in constant contact with them as it will quickly wear on the edge. The position of the belt is determined by the tensioner bearing which has a slightly convex profile. As you say your tensioner bearing is new I'd suggest that you check its mounting to see if it's at an angle due to a bent carrier. Where did you get the tensioner bearing from? Could it be that it's not the right one for the purpose?

Theo Kyriacou
lukasdeopalenica

Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:48:41 AM »

It is a genuine SKF VKM12004. There was no markings on the pulley about the outer or inner side. Another thing I remember, the old pulley also worked at the outer edge what was proven by the belt that left a track on the pulleys.

Subaru Outback 3.0R
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »

Not all twincam pulleys have lips. Not in Fiat applications anyway which can be a lot older than Lancia Betas. Early Fiat applications had plastic pulleys while I think Lancia always had metal pulleys. Some engines have lips at the front, some at the back, some one at the front and one at the back with or without lip on the auxiliary shaft pulley. The lips (if there) are for safety and the belt should not be in constant contact with them as it will quickly wear on the edge. The position of the belt is determined by the tensioner bearing which has a slightly convex profile. As you say your tensioner bearing is new I'd suggest that you check its mounting to see if it's at an angle due to a bent carrier. Where did you get the tensioner bearing from? Could it be that it's not the right one for the purpose?

Hi Thotos

My 1600 is early S2 and has plastic cam pulleys and one has flange one side, the other also has one on the other side.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 11:22:32 AM »

It is a genuine SKF VKM12004. There was no markings on the pulley about the outer or inner side. Another thing I remember, the old pulley also worked at the outer edge what was proven by the belt that left a track on the pulleys.
is that on a 2 litre? if so I think you will find the outer diameter is too small. That pulley size, 67mm, is for the smaller engines 2.0 uses (from memory) 70.5 mm. best solution on a 2.0 is to replace the bearing only keeping the original outer casing, the actual bearing is readily available.
not sure if this would cause the issue you are experiencing though
lukasdeopalenica

Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 11:02:57 PM »

The pulley diameter can only influence on a belt tension I think. The smaller diameter can be easily compensate by additional pulley strain, but how strong the belt may be tensioned to not badly impact on the bearing...?

* DSC01507n.JPG (36.96 KB, 448x336 - viewed 602 times.)

* DSC01512n.JPG (34.62 KB, 448x336 - viewed 667 times.)

Subaru Outback 3.0R
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »

It does not look too bad to me. In your setup the crank pulley stops the belt coming too far forward and the auxiliary drive pulley has a lip on the rear to stop it moving too far backwards..

I have found after many Km's the crank drive pulley can wear to.

If the belt is too tight it will make a loud whirring noise. You should just be able to turn it 90 degrees in the middle of the longest run between inlet cam and auxiliary driveshaft with 2 fingers.
lukasdeopalenica

Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 09:01:57 AM »

Thanks, I will check it.

Subaru Outback 3.0R
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: