Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:32:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kent cams valve clearances  (Read 9838 times)
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2013, 08:42:53 PM »

GC is far too honest to try to gain sales from condemning people's stuff but he is a perfectionist, conversely many 'mechanics' are happy to use any old junk if it looks vaguely OK. The corrosion on those cams doesn't look too good to me but I'm no expert on these things.

Don't get me wrong I don't think Guy would lie to generate business, it's just I know his standards and (like you said) that he's a perfectionist. In my opinion that means his attitude to risk is very conservative. That is probably a good thing in a race engine builder who's reputation depends on the quality  / reliability of his work but it might be OTT for a road car where the owner is happy to take a calculated risk.

Put it another way while there may be an ideal way to build an engine there are other approaches that don't necessarily automatically lead to disaster.
You are right that he would probably err on the side of caution but it is a difficult situation with fiat twin cams these days, gone is the plentiful supply of healthy motors from rusted out cars so it is no longer wise to chance building from components that might cause failures and damage to other components but conversely the lack of new parts also means careful conservation of parts that would previously have been renewed is also the option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 09:55:02 AM »

I just had a look at the pics of the cams on GC's site. To me it looks like they have had a lot more than 1000 miles use, unless they were run with no oil, not bedded in correctly etc...There is a distinct wear ridge where the front oil seal sits for starters, then the wear marks on the lobe flanks....

They may be OK, but would have to have the full lift checked, run out and bearing diameters checked in V blocks or a lathe etc. Most engine reconditioners or machine shops should should be able to do this for you.

If you have a DTI gauge and a spare cam box you can check the lift yourself.
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 11:51:13 PM »

I took the cams down to the mechanic who looks after my van and the wife's car, and who serviced the Lancia when it was in the UK. His view was basically 'no problem', and said he'd be quite happy to use cams in that condition in his car. He commented that the lobes were as new, and was of the opinion that the corrosion would polish out with fine Scotchbrite or similar. The only point he made was that I should be careful where I sited the cam oil seal, to ensure it didn't coincide with an existing groove.

On thinking further about it, I took photographs as close as I could with a high-res Nikon DSLR and then cropped them further to produce the pics on Guy's site. Those pics are appreciably larger than life size and probably give an exaggerated impression of the wear/scoring involved. Admittedly they aren't new or perfect; but going on what Rob says, I believe they are fit for purpose.

Anyway, I've told the seller I'll have them so the die is cast now...

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
75coupe

1975 Beta coupe 2L

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 04:06:05 AM »

Looks like you have your mind set at ease, I understand what you are saying about the high resolution, always difficult to give an accurate opinion based on a photo.....good luck!
mangocrazy
Legendary Member

Graham Stewart

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 12:00:12 AM »

Cheers - I also took the cams down to a guy I've known for years who has been involved with motorcycle racing for around 50 years and asked him for his opinion - he said they should be fine, just give them a light dressing up and they should be good to go. So I'm happy with that.

1980 Lancia Beta Spider 2000 (S2FL)
2002 VW Transporter T4
2017 KTM Duke 690R
2008 Aprilia SL1000 Falco
1992 Ducati 888 SP3
1988 Honda VFR750F
1980 Yamaha RD350LC
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: