Lancia Beta Forum
April 20, 2024, 06:25:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: is this the sub frame  (Read 3154 times)
thatwelshchap

« on: January 13, 2013, 03:25:57 PM »

hi,
just need to explain i'm overseas so can't look at the car myself.
question is, my spider failed the MOT on one peice of rust. it is affecting a cross member just in front of the engine where the oil filter and alternator sit. so is this cross member the subframe? i can weld it but if a frame is avaialble i'd buy it for future use.
can anyone give me a quick answer?
cheers, alex
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 03:32:45 PM »

It will most likely be the cross member on the main shell as opposed to the subframe,  it is a fairly typical area to rot on a beta cutting out and welding a patch is the usual and best solution
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »

Ask if it's the crossmember that has the jacking pad in the middle of it. If it is then is part od the shell as per the other reply. If not it's the subframe and new / used ones do come up every so often.
thatwelshchap

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 03:47:28 PM »

i'm looking at a picture of a subframe now and i can't see a shape that matches the area that has rust. from what you say i doubt it is the sub frame and i'll go ahead and patch it. shame it was rusty these as its fine everywhere else. i'm trying to remove the oil pump body to make room to weld. I have three bolts out and it won't shift. is there 4 bolts? can't see another one.
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 07:50:42 PM »

i'm looking at a picture of a subframe now and i can't see a shape that matches the area that has rust. from what you say i doubt it is the sub frame and i'll go ahead and patch it. shame it was rusty these as its fine everywhere else. i'm trying to remove the oil pump body to make room to weld. I have three bolts out and it won't shift. is there 4 bolts? can't see another one.
Confused can't be oil pump you are moving!?

Sent from my MOMO11 bird using Tapatalk HD
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:06:06 PM »

I think he means oil filter mounting bracket.

That would be close to the front subframe section that is prone to rusting.

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 10:13:43 PM »

And there is a 4th bolt  - the bolts are in a rectangular pattern and one is hidden deep in a recess in the casting.
thatwelshchap

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 07:23:17 AM »

ah, thats why I can't see the bolt and the haynes manual doesn't give a description other than a mention in the engine strip down. yes sorry its the filter mount. As i said I'm overseas about 3000 miles away from the car so can't pop into the garage to look.
once i have that filter mount off I'll have more room to weld. it would be handy if the cross member was bolted on so i could remove it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: