Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:48:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heater core replacement at last.  (Read 4008 times)
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« on: October 09, 2012, 03:14:48 PM »

Well folks, following the successful welding via a green laser on the leaking blood vessles in both my eyes last Friday, I decided to "test drive" them today by removing the heater core from the spyder.
I've been putting it off for over a year now but I figured today was as good a day as any and now I've cleared adequate space in the workshop to have both doors open and room to walk around, I have to act fast before things return to normal in there.
Getting the heater out only took about two hours and the dashboard is sort of still in place but supported by bungee cords through the targa roof and door frames.
Now the thing is when the heater leaked originally, I cut the heater hoses under the bonnet near the bulkhead and joined them with the body of a small Maglight and two hose clips.
Do I need to replace the hoses with bespoke items or will generic heater hose from a local motor factor's suffice if I join it to the original formed pieces from the heater using barbed joiners and clips inside the cockpit?
The short pieces attached to the heater seem perfect to me or am I taking a stupid risk? I suppose I'm running the risk of scalding my ankles if it goes wrong, but I need the car back together for this weekend despite deciding to park it for the winter and I doubt I'd have hoses from Betaboyz spares here in time. Shipping from the UK to Ireland seems to take about a week on average.
Maybe I should just wait for them and scrap my plans for this weekend.
Your thoughts?

Rust never sleeps
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:52:40 PM »

Hi

So long as they are heater grade pipes and the correct inner and outer diameters cannot see an issue.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 05:26:09 PM »

I replaced mine with off the shelf heater pipes from the local motor factors - been fine since 1996/7 !

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
droptop

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 08:39:47 PM »

It's been decided for me anyway as Betaboyz are sold out of the correct ones so off to the factor's tomorrow and I'm fitting the later top rail with the pressure relief for no.4 cylinder while I'm at it provided work doesn't get in the way of progress.
Time to address the voltmeter reading low and the oil temp gauge reading high while the instruments are out as well.
I might upgrade the backlighting for the gauges with some new LED bulbs while I'm in there and stick on the 65A bosch alternator as well.
Progress, i love it! Grin

Rust never sleeps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: