Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:32:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool Heater..  (Read 3380 times)
gengis

« on: December 30, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »

Is there a procedure for bleeding the cooling system? (2000ie)

The heater appears to be working, until I travel about 7 miles (thermostat open) then it stars to cool off and go cold.  I have visually checked the matrix input valve and it appears to be operating correctly.

I'm thinking that the system has air in it and needs to be bled...am I on the right tracks with this one?

1983 - Lancia Beta Coupe
1982 - Fiat 124 Spider
2012 - Alfa Romeo Mito
2011 - Fiat Fiorino
2006 - BMW F800st
Thotos

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 02:34:48 AM »

Running the engine until warm (thermostat fully open) with the expansion tank cap removed is supposed to burp the system and get rid of all the air.

I have a similar problem with my Trevi. At first it seemed to be dirt in the cooling system collecting in the heater matrix. I flushed the system well and used a hosepipe to flush out the heater matrix and the heater started working but gradually lost efficiency. Seems to work for a while and at low speeds but goes cold after a long run and it's worse at higher speed. I had a 180 mile round trip yesterday and I was freeeeeeezing on the way back  Embarrassed  In my case I think it's still dirt in the cooling system collecting in the heater matrix so I'll be giving it all another good flush soon. Maybe you have a similar problem? When was the last time you changed the coolant and have you flushed the cooling system?

Theo Kyriacou
gengis

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 06:29:47 PM »

Hi Theo,

Just got the car, and going through all the issues that I've identified so far...the car's off the road at the moment due to the fuel tank being out and getting cleaned, chasing a fuel starvation problem.

Only noticed the problem when blasting up the motorway trying to use fuel before tank removal.  I think it's a circulation issue due to the fact that the matrix is producing heat after start up.  I'll persue air in the system as the first step. 

Just getting to know the car, and a lot of the components are the same as the 124 Spider, just laid out differently...can't even see where the heater hoses are plumbed into the engine!  A degree of perseverence is called for methinks.

p.s. still looking after the 131?

John.

1983 - Lancia Beta Coupe
1982 - Fiat 124 Spider
2012 - Alfa Romeo Mito
2011 - Fiat Fiorino
2006 - BMW F800st
Thotos

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Theo Kyriacou

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 04:54:14 PM »

p.s. still looking after the 131?

Certainly am  Wink Cheesy and will be forever I think  Grin  And the heater is so good in the 131 I can roast chestnuts while I drive  Grin Grin

Theo Kyriacou
gengis

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 10:37:38 PM »

Good to hear that Theo...I upgraded the matrix to a copper core.

I think i have resolved my heating issue.  I drained the system, and what a load of manky fluid came out.  I then flushed three times...still no change on heating output?  I then took off the heater output hose ( the one thats on the steel spigot between cylinders 3 & 4 ) and low and behold the pipe was almost blocked with a rusty crud type material.  After cleaning and flushing a further twice, and replenishing with "Organic" anti-freeze, the heater is nice and toasty...result.

1983 - Lancia Beta Coupe
1982 - Fiat 124 Spider
2012 - Alfa Romeo Mito
2011 - Fiat Fiorino
2006 - BMW F800st
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: