Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:40:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: NEC Restoration Show 22nd-24th March 2024
http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5015.msg36852#msg36852

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Surge  (Read 4749 times)
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: August 26, 2012, 06:47:39 PM »

As you may know I rebuilt my spare engine over winter and fitted it just after the Beta 40th event.

I'm now having (and have had since I put it in) really serious issues with oil surge. I only have go go round a right hand bend at a moderate speed (nowhere near the limit even in the wet) and the dreaded red light comes on.I know it's only a matter of time before a moments inatention means I need a new crank.

Apart from other things the engine has got a Guy Croft prepared crank and overhauled oil pump and a Betaboyz baffled sump kit.

Today I checked the internal gauge against a calibrated one and changed the oil from Halfords classic 20/50 to Penrite 15/60 in case the Halfords oil was getting too thin. It needed doing anyway so no loss there.

I've got slightly low but OK oil pressure through the rev range with 65psi+ from about 3500rpm (with hot oil). The oil level is fine and though the oil change increased the oil pressure a little it hasn't sovled anything.

Obviously the sump baffles aren't doing their job, the question is why? I'll be taking the sump off to make sure it's nothing stupid like a stuck trap door but any thoughts?
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »

First thing I'd do is make 100% sure that there is not an issue with the electrical connection to the  sensor causing an intermittent bad connection on right handers I had something similar on my volumex before I took it off the road but I was never convinced that
it was mechanical as opposed to instrument issues, I might strip that eingine in the near future and no doubt all will be revealed. Certainly give GC a call for advice though, I'm sure he'd be glad to assist.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 10:47:41 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. Sadly I've checked out the sender  - hence the playing with a capiliary gauge today as they don't lie (as much).

I pugged the capiliary gauge in where the oil pressure switch normaly goes and watched that as well as the gauge in the car. I'm satisfied the pressure issues are genuine.

Stuart
rossocorsa
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 03:57:24 PM »

any dents on the sump bottom? they could catch the trap door
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 07:03:32 PM »

Stuart

A VX Oil Pump body will help as it has a reserve built in. The baffled sump if it is done correctly should largely fix this issue although an Accusump install is the real solution if going anywhere near a track. It is probably time to check the shells for signs of damage before you damage the crank and this is the only way to deal with that sick feeling of imminent doom. As Guy built your pump it will be good, but it might be smart to let him check it over again if you take the sump off. You have checked with a capillary gauge and they do tell the truth unlike to OE items which can be wildly in-accurate.   

Good Luck

Eric 
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:51:36 PM »

Eric,

I'd picked up of the VX resevoir in the body  - the next question is do you (or anyone else) have a spare VX pump or pickup.

I agree on the shells and since the sump is comming off anyway that's no big chore so long as the mains don't need replacing. Guy has suggested the baffle plate might be too tall and hence the windage tray too high, I'll send him some pics once I've got it off.

I have hoped that for a road car and standard tyres and suspension an accusump might not be needed, i'm starting to think it might be good insurance though.

Whatever I do I ned to sort this first as something is badly wrong to get surge at such modest speeds.

Stuart
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 07:12:17 PM »

I spoke to Guy about this and I suspect I know what I've done.

Guy pointed out that with the engine out and on the stand I probably fitted the sump with the enging upside down. He suspects that the trap door fell open and when tuend the right way up again the pump pickup has stopped it closing. It makes sense and I'll know for sure tomorrow, embarasing if that is what's happened but it sounded rather like Guy was talking from personal experience so at least I'm in good company.

On another note I think I've found a new VX oil pump

CAn anyone confirm this is a VX pump and does anyone know the OE part number?
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »

Stuart

That pick up body is VX as long as the pump housing is 2000 height not 1600 and the rotor clearances and relief spring are in tolerance result!

Eric
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 10:47:07 PM »

Pump arrived today. I think I've got a result here it's brand new and the body & pickup section are the same dimensions as my two other 2.0 pumps (apart from the little reservoir) . The strainer / pickup sits about 6mm lower but I doubt that will be an issue.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: