Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:37:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VX head on i.e.  (Read 4173 times)
betaveloce

Belgium Belgium

« on: May 04, 2012, 11:17:14 AM »

Hello everyone,

I think I saw this question on here before somewhere, but I don't remember in which thread and if I recall correctly, there was no real answer given.

Anyway, a few years back I bought a completely revised and cleaned VX head (with new valves and all) and now I was wondering if I can use it on my I.E. block. Will the bigger VX valves not touch the I.E. pistons...?

Beta Coupé 1.8 '74
Beta Spider 1.6 '80
Beta HPE 2.0 i.e. '82
Delta Integrale 8V '88
Ypsilon 1.4 16V '09
WestonE
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 03:17:05 PM »

There will be no problem with the 43.5mm VX inlet valves touching the IE pistons provided you are not using non standard high lift cams or non standard cam timing. NB you must carry over the cams from the IE or you will be very dis-appointed since the VX has very different milder cam profiles.

Eric
Hawk

England England

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 05:34:31 PM »

Apologies for the slight therad hi-jack but Eric, is the IE cam profile the same as the earlier (non VX) Betas
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »

Hawk

The lazy answer is not radically different so not worth hunting for hoping to improve the performance of an earlier 2000 carb Beta. Of course using the cams from a 2000 in a 1600 Beta does give a performance lift and using a carb or IE inlet cam in a VX gives a performance increase but you would not want to fit the IE exhaust cam to a VX as all it gives is a big fuel bill.

I hope that helps.

Eric
betaveloce

Belgium Belgium

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 10:12:22 AM »

thanks very much for your answer Eric

I'll give it a go then  Smiley

Beta Coupé 1.8 '74
Beta Spider 1.6 '80
Beta HPE 2.0 i.e. '82
Delta Integrale 8V '88
Ypsilon 1.4 16V '09
Hawk

England England

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 03:31:02 PM »

Hawk

The lazy answer is not radically different so not worth hunting for hoping to improve the performance of an earlier 2000 carb Beta. Of course using the cams from a 2000 in a 1600 Beta does give a performance lift and using a carb or IE inlet cam in a VX gives a performance increase but you would not want to fit the IE exhaust cam to a VX as all it gives is a big fuel bill.

I hope that helps.

Eric

Thanks Eric

my Beta has got an IE engine in (with twin 40s and exhaust) and I was just wondering if the engine was much different
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 04:45:45 PM »

Hawk

This depends on what was swapped over as the IE has an exhaust driven Dizzy that is ECU controlled for advance where a Carb 2000 has a block mounted Dizzy with balance weights handling advance. The IE engine has a sintered steel pulley driving the oil pump and no hole for a manual fuel pump, but still has the lobe on the Aux DS waiting to kill number 2 conrod if miss timed. Both Carb and IE have flat top pistons with similar compression and the same valve sizes in the head. So not much to get very excited about beyond it being a bit younger.

Eric
Hawk

England England

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:45:42 AM »

Hawk

This depends on what was swapped over as the IE has an exhaust driven Dizzy that is ECU controlled for advance where a Carb 2000 has a block mounted Dizzy with balance weights handling advance. The IE engine has a sintered steel pulley driving the oil pump and no hole for a manual fuel pump, but still has the lobe on the Aux DS waiting to kill number 2 conrod if miss timed. Both Carb and IE have flat top pistons with similar compression and the same valve sizes in the head. So not much to get very excited about beyond it being a bit younger.

Eric

Thanks Eric
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: