Lancia Beta Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:10:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Failed MOT!  (Read 2425 times)
Hawk

England England

« on: April 17, 2012, 10:19:22 AM »

Bugger, my wife has just phoned to me to say that my Spyder has failed the MOT.

According to the tester, the floor by both rear suspension mounts is excessively corroded and looks as if it has been previously masked with filler! 

I can't weld for toffee so I will have to pay someone.  Fingers crossed this is just a matter of welding on a couple of plates?
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 10:54:37 AM »

Depends exactly where it is and how bad the rust is....

It's a complicated area to get at too as the fuel tank is going to be very close to the affected area

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
Hawk

England England

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »

Depends exactly where it is and how bad the rust is....

It's a complicated area to get at too as the fuel tank is going to be very close to the affected area

And I'm not going to know until the weekend as I'm not around at the moment Sad 

But dropping the fuel tank out isn't a massive job so I'm hoping it will not cost me too much. 

Unfortunately this has probably now scuppered my chances of making the 40th weekend tour Sad
rossocorsa
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »

I'm afraid to say that this is likely to be a fairly extensive job that can snowball my vx was like that looked fine but the more deep you got into it the worse it got it is not insurmountable better to do it right though than bodge for an mot unless you are not going to keep the car long term
Hawk

England England

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:45:57 PM »

Managed to get the car up on a ramp earlier at the garage and have a look and words fail me.  One of the previous owners has filled holes on the floor with cardboard and filler  Cry  And then gone to the trouble of trying to hide it by covering the entire floor pan with Waxoyl. 

When we had a good poke around (and through Sad), we found filler everywhere and it looks as if it needs a patch from one wing to the other.  The garage reckons it's a good day's work (possibly more) and thats with me doing some of the prep work (stripping out the interior etc).

The garage did offer a cheaper service to get it through the MOT but I want it done properly and so we have agreed on the work being done next week.   

the good news is that rest of the floor is in good shape
andybeta

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 10:11:40 AM »

And how about the inner wings which is where there is often extensive rot?
Hawk

England England

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »

And how about the inner wings which is where there is often extensive rot?

The rest of the car is in good order
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: