Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:08:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for Lancia Beta parts: www.lanciabetaparts.co.uk

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beta Coupe Project, Shropshire  (Read 76126 times)
smithymc

« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2015, 08:59:09 AM »

Gasket is off a nos sender. The ring in the tank is what links the studs - they are independent of the tank.

The pressurisation thing is a bit weird yes, when there are 2 large dia vents back up to the filler neck. I suppose they could be blocked but I blew them out with the airline when i had drained the resin and filled them with electric flex while the stuff was sloshing about.

Whatever, that looks like the end of a rather low mileage Beta season.

Anyone got a tank they don't want?

Mark
smithymc

« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2015, 07:01:15 PM »

Latest is that some thread seal appears to have stopped the problem.

However, I am still a little mystified by the pressure issue. At the risk of being really dumb, here goes -  only the pumped return line can be pressuring it I think, and that must make a very limited influence on a tank with 1 gallon sloshing about in the bottom.

So, with the fuel in the bottom of the tank, where is the fuel coming from that blows past the threads?

There's probably a simple answer.........

Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2015, 06:53:31 AM »

The tank should pressurize a little as the fuel is drawn out. Do you have a sort of non-return valve in the vent line (or is that a facelift thing)?

Is the fuel actually leaking from the return pipe 'over' the sender rather from beneath it? Last year I had fuel seeming to come from everywhere on the sender. After a couple of goes tightening and un-tightening everything (send line, return line, all the little nuts) the leak finally sealed off.
smithymc

« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2015, 04:06:07 PM »

Dragged her out for a sunny trip to shops- Lost tickover for a while with assumed residual grot, but overall ran fine.

Good to be back.

Now, am I brave enough for a longer run in this sunshine over the next 2 days. Hmmm...................
smithymc

« Reply #104 on: September 29, 2015, 07:02:05 PM »

Couldn't resist the sunshine with it being SORN minus 2 day.

Took to a site visit, 60 miles round trip and it ran fine. Felt great.

The tank pressure issue may just have been that there was so little fuel in the tank.

Mark
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Peter Stokes

« Reply #105 on: September 29, 2015, 10:38:19 PM »

Great result Mark especially after all the work, shame you are now going to put it to bed for the winter now, especially as the weather is pretty fair.

Peter

Beta Spyder S2 pre F/L 1600
Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
smithymc

« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2016, 08:56:05 AM »

Got roped in to chauffeur my nephew and his mate to school prom last night, dodging the storms but got there dry.

Lots of very exotic stuff there, but the style of the choco-lime shine through naturally.

I couldn't compete with the lad who turned up in a combine harvester though. Quite a sight in the middle of Walsall!

Mark
peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2016, 09:27:55 AM »

Hi Mark

Photo please....!

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
smithymc

« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2017, 05:45:33 PM »

Latest update- car has passed MOT, no advisories and I have the hub ready to swap.

So, today is the long booked rolling road session at Aldon Automotive.

To start the day, the car objected on the way there and got a vapour lock ( blocked return line) , so, probably getting its retaliation in first for what it knew was coming, deposited half a pint of petrol on my shoes when I took the cap off. Many odd looks in meetings that followed, but happily no smoking.

* IMG_2816_resize.JPG (129.29 KB, 653x490 - viewed 818 times.)
smithymc

« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2017, 05:46:33 PM »

Aldon clearly took this seriously and put a couple of YTS lads on it.

* IMG_2826_resize.JPG (132.53 KB, 653x490 - viewed 846 times.)
smithymc

« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2017, 05:55:23 PM »

Anyway, my work finished, I strolled back for the tale of woe.

Vapour lock sorted, carb stripped to sort over-fuelling issue and float height set and new needle. Timing reset. Then started the tuning, which I got a chance to see.

Slight misfire at high revs  above 5500rpm, meant new set of leads- nice blue ones so must be good.

Carb up-jetted on primary, they were otherwise happy. Car drives nicely on the way back, not a revelation, but a noticeable increased willingness to rev and nice pick-up on the primary choke. The popping and banging from the exhaust did not concern them, they just said its the exhaust baffles( probably blown out)- not that their treatment did it many favours.

For those with an aversion to cruelty to the elderly, don't click below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2qekwgcdimc9rmo/IMG_2827.MOV?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l2ch4u7i5v68kys/IMG_2829.MOV?dl=0

peteracs
Administrator
Legendary Member

Peter Stokes

« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2017, 06:56:19 PM »

Nice one Mark, looks like it is a common thing to up the primary jet size with modern fuel.

Obviously they have an extended YTS scheme over there.........

Do not forget my photos pretty please.

Peter

Beta HPE S2 pre F/L 1600
smithymc

« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2017, 09:09:05 PM »

Hub swapped. Didn't alone sort brake wobble as disc clearly set to old form. So, new discs tonight (how I hate those calliper wedges).

Result is great, smooth braking from any speed. Also great to try new tune on quiet roads and the difference is noticeable . Mix of more md-range and stable braking makes for addictive and brisker driving immediately.

Mark
smithymc

« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »

The old girl got a present from DVLA this morning ,in the form of her ‘historic vehicle’ status so no more tax.

Easy process in the end.

Mark
smithymc

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2019, 06:44:52 PM »

Just an update. After a quiet 2108, the car had a rude awakening in the unusually warm weather in February.

Have done an oil and filter change today with some Penrite 10w50 I bought at the NEC show. Test drive seemed fine but, unless I’m mistaken, the top end of the engine seems slightly more noisy at idle- there has always been a bit of gearbox noise if you stood that side, but the engine has always run like a sewing machine. So, jury out for the present.

Another oddity- one that has always plagued the car but not tracked down- is a periodic tendency to give a ‘wineglass’ type whine on left lock at low speed - well it does it on both locks now! Wheels all cool to touch. Sticking piston?

Any feedback welcome.

Mark
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #115 on: March 31, 2019, 12:36:31 PM »

Hi Mark

Sticking Calliper slides are more likely. On the tappet noise check the clearances cold. Your oil change might have remove the dirt providing insulation. For more hot protection I recommend 10W 60 and you can find a full range at Opie Oils.

Good Luck

Eric
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2019, 09:20:57 AM »

My 1300 engine is always tappety after an oil change or a period of non-use. It usually clears up after a run.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: