Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:04:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Beta Coupe Project, Shropshire  (Read 76133 times)
smithymc

« on: April 04, 2012, 12:23:25 PM »

Hello

I have aquired a 1977 Beta Coupe that has been in dry storage for decades, 22k miles,  the car owned by a friend of mines father, so I have known it from new. Its very dusty but appears very good otherwise. I am hoping that it will be more of a re-commission than a re-build( heres hoping!). I get my hands on it at the end of the month when I move house to one with a double garage.

I could do with some basic advice - which oil, unleaded fuel additives, etc. I also have the corroding headlamp reflector issue to cure, which may be the main obstacle to an MOT.

Any advice appreciated.

* front (640x480).jpg (207.83 KB, 640x480 - viewed 3672 times.)

* Interior (640x480).jpg (212.04 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2761 times.)

* Underbonnet (640x480).jpg (249.34 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2692 times.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:53:13 PM by smithymc » Logged
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 04:16:46 PM »

Fingers crossed that it does not take too much effort to get it back on the road.   Any pictures?

New headlamps are available from www.Lanciabetaparts.co.uk

If your re-commissioning i'd fully refurb the brakes, check the fuel tank and pipes and possibly the carb.

I would recommend getting hold of the owners manual available on Ebay or someone on here.  If its 1977 it sounds like a S2 car, what colour is the dash?  Brown or black?

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
raz1966

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:06:20 PM »

i have a 1980 beta coupe (2 litre carb version), my car was similar to yours in that it was low milage but not been used for a long time, biggest problem i had was with the carb, i ended up getting a second hand one and after i put this on it runs perfect.
i would suggest you change all the service items. plugs/leads/points/coil etc..
make sure you use good quality items (ie. stuff like bosch/ngk etc.). there is alot of cheap crap on ebay,if you buy this you will end up paying twice.
HFStuart
Legendary Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:34:29 PM »

I also have the corroding headlamp reflector issue to cure, which may be the main obstacle to an MOT.

Any advice appreciated.

If it's got the two large rectangular lights with two refelectors in each unit rather than four separate lights then you're in luck. You can split the lamps and the refelctors are metal so they can be resilvered.
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 09:45:41 PM »

Just seen the pictures of the car, looks to be very very original.  Although this is going to be a S2 car there are many S1 elements to it, Bonnet, grille, green interior etc. So I would take a stab at this being a very early S2 car, which most likely was a S1 but with a later S2 engine.

Is it a 1600 ?

Either way its a great find and you've done well !

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
rossocorsa
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:15:42 PM »

matt

vinyl piping on seats and lack of velvet bolster section make this a series 2, the early bonnet and grille were retained on series 2 1600s

Alan
smithymc

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 07:02:16 PM »

Thanks all for the information - am amazed at the in-depth knowledge of the model phasing in particular - most people have just said its a horrible colour!

A bit more info - yes it is a 1600.

It appears to have an oily coating in the engine bay and scuttle and a textured coating to the wheel arch edges.

I seem to have conflicting oil grades beteen the 2 manuals I have i.e 20-50 and 10-40 - Are semi-synthetics recommended? Any other recommendations appreciated.

What about electronic ignition?

I can hardly see the back end as it is surrounded with other stuff- including some far more valuable motors and parts that are for sale  - The Beta is in the way so has to go.

Cheers

Mark
rossocorsa
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 08:00:36 PM »

I think I would use 10w40, colours might be a bit odd but it's all very wonderfully 70s and incidentally very very rare in that condition. Later S2FL cars were fitted with bosch electronic ignition it is probably possible to retro fit that, you'd need to find all the bits second hand I've never done it myself but I expect someone will come along to clarify practicalities.
raz1966

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 08:46:12 PM »

looks a nice car.
i have a spare ignition control box for the electronic igniton model if that helps.
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 09:19:09 AM »

My non electronic ignition has always been pretty reliable.
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 11:32:38 AM »

10/50 is what the Lancia S2 owners handbook says for use, from memory I use 10/40 in my Betas.

Paint looks to be Nearco or possibly Amaranth - difficult to tell from the pictures and accumulated grime :-)  Paint code sticker should be on the underside of the boot lid.

Sounds like the car was treated to stop the dreaded tin worm.... which is a blessing!

I'd leave the ignition (just my opinion) I've found it to be reliable once set up correctly and maintained properly.

It is a proper 1970's colour with matching interior - I'd say keep it original - but I love original cars so am  slightly biased.  Grin

Whats next?

Get a new battery and some fresh fuel (premium unleaded) and see if she'll fire up?

What are your plans for it long term... are you planning on keeping/running it?

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
rossocorsa
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 02:09:24 PM »

It's far too dark to be rosso nearco I think it's marrone parioli 116 or if it is metallic (can't tell in photos) maybe bronzo windsor 134
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 02:14:45 PM by rossocorsa » Logged
smithymc

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 04:20:17 PM »

Matt?

I was thinking of a good 10/40, possibly Magnatex or a semi-synthetic.

The paint is a solid brown and looks good when you wipe the dust off - like above the headlight in the photo. Please dont get me wrong, I love the colours, its just some people dont get it ( or Lancias in general - their problem) - my nephews call it the chocolate lime! It will be kept and run so hopefully I can get it to an event soon. I should get the car (it is in its long term home at present) in next few weeks when we move house - I managed to buy it without even owning a garage at the time!

Does it need Valvemaster or simlar to protect the seats, or were the original materials pretty good?

A battery, a turn of the engine by hand with the plugs out and a turn of the key following an oil change is the current plan and see how we go from there- brake refurb, new tyres, some shades and some new 8-tracks off e-bay! The cambelt looks perfect - it was apparently put on just to start the car the last time it ran  about 6/7 years ago (such was the previous owner) and the car is stored in the dark. I am a bit nervous of starting it without a new belt to be honest so I might play safe if I am confident enough to take the job on.

Thanks to all for all of the advice again.

Mark
HFStuart
Legendary Member

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 04:56:17 PM »

my nephews call it the chocolate lime!

Genius  - I'd keep that as it's name
rossocorsa
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »

I was thinking of a good 10/40, possibly Magnatex or a semi-synthetic.

if you have a branch of 'the range' near you they do unipart oils as cheap as chips IMHO not worth the extra for castrol but others might disagree, I'd change the oil then drain it fairly soon after a few hundred miles to clear all the sludgey stuff out that's bound to be there from standing. Don't be too afraid of the belt change it is not too bad on a Beta but change the tensioner bearing as well I think there is more risk of that seizing after standing than the belt itself failing Beta tensioner is in two parts you can buy new skf bearings to fit the pulley at any bearing supplier (3205 A-2RS1TN9/MT33)  don't be tempted by cheap Chinese ones get a proper make SKF, FAG or similar. Just to add Fiat TC/beta montecarlo tensioners don't fit part of the joys, confusion and complications of italian ricambi!
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 10:04:49 AM »

Re fuel: my car has run for 20,000 with no trouble on a mix of super and standard unleaded with the odd shot of Redex.
smithymc

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 09:33:08 PM »

I will have a look at our local bearing guys with the tensioner bearing references-thanks.

I am having to resist buying loads of stuff to make a start on the car but at the moment, packing for a house move, more stuff to lose is not what I need!

We have a branch of the range in Shrewsbury so will have a look for some oil.

Cheers

Mark
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2012, 08:14:30 AM »

Mark

On the Oil I would use a 10W 40 of known brand and a new filter to flush the system through (100 miles max) and maybe also an oil flush before using a 10W 60 grade either Selenia or Castrol Edge with a new filter that has an anti drain flap/valve. This will clean the inside of the engine remove lots of carbon and sludge. Older oil formulations were poor (I am ex oil company).

Eric 
andybeta

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 11:02:44 AM »

The colour of the interior is really not for the faint hearted!
Neil-yaj396
Legendary Member

1979 1300 Coupe

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »

The colour of the interior is really not for the faint hearted!

A matter of taste. This is by far my favourite Lancia interior ever! If the owner ever wants to part with this car get in touch!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: