Lancia Beta Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:45:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2024 Events Calendar http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=92.0
Please feel free to add more.

Home   Help Contact Admin Search Calendar Gallery Articles Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Progress on "Lulu" our lovely HPE!  (Read 41746 times)
VXdeMayo

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 15, 2012, 05:33:04 PM »

Dear All,

As I have promised recently I thought you might like to know how the progress on our Volumex HPE is progressing

We love this car. I actually prefer to drive it on our (bad) twisty B roads over our 09 plate Alfa GT! It has much more supple suspension and the torque is similar to the Cloverleaf!

Soon after getting back from Paul Greenway's home in Chorley I made a list of must do jobs that I wanted to finish before the 40th celebrations later this year. Paul was absolutely correct in the fact that it would "pass the 5 yard test" of viewing, but once closer the snags and faults appeared.

What I have done thus far is:
Remove over spray from sunroof rubber, and cleaned around opening.

Remove stuck on aerial and made good paintwork.

Found proper rear o/s aerial to rear wing, fitted and got radio working properly.

Replaced filler cap with "Y" shaped original.

Removed, restored, and replaced most body rubber rub strips to sides with unmarked ones.

Removed, restored, and replaced both mirrors.

Removed front headlights and grill. Replaced with good Siem examples, replaced surrounds and grill with better examples.

Fitted original front fog lamps after restoring them first (used existing loom and proper switch).

Replaced front indicator lens.

Replaced rear lamp unit plastic screws with proper colour originals.

Restored and replaced rear fog lamps and brackets.

Sourced and restored original Lancia period rear mudflaps, fitted properly to rear.

Found and replaced the rear spoiler with mint example. Logos also changed.

Restored rear wash wipe arm.

Replaced rear tailgate problem strut, along with aperture rubber, tailgate lock, and all rusty screws.

Refitted rear number plate properly.

Sourced early Beta Chrome gear stick and "HF" Knob. Fitted.

Sourced and fitted an Abarth Boomerang steering wheel and boss.

Sourced double power binnacle lamps, now I can see the oil pressure gauges at night!

Fixed "ticking" noise behind binnacle. (Speedo cable misaligned).

Replaced inner locker back plate. (Missing).

Replaced left and right speaker covers with good ones.

Completely stripped out whole interior. Cleaned replaced and restored VX cloth trim panels, seats etc using the best from 3x VX interiors!

Restored door cards, stainless trim, latches and handles.

Replaced door checks, (big improvement).

Replaced door rubbers with unworn examples.

Replaced two of the 3 incorrect door window seal strips. Door tops now much more original.

(The final one will be replaced later along with both of the side glasses. (Glasses vertically scratched).

Replaced all incorrect / rusty screws to interior.

Replaced carpet with 20,000 mile only example. (Big improvement).

Restored front seat belts and replaced any damaged plastic trim.

Centre console now rebuilt  and looking mint again.

Restored rear seat cards, replaced damaged drivers seat etc.

Restored replaced all toolkit items and got jack re-enamelled.

Replaced boot carpet with mint-ish example. Replaced broken latch plastic surround. Sourced black leatherette to get new strips re made for rear boot wheel arch covers, (got re sewn at saddlery)!

Rear wash wipe arm re enamelled and unit now works.

Replaces many trim items around rear slatted grill on tailgate.

Re-secured rear number plate light housings.

Started cleaning the engine bay. Front of scuttle now very good. Replaced incorrect washer bottle and damaged jet mounts.

Cleaned rear of bonnet. Bonnet now has a new replacement black cover. (Very smart).

Many of the extraneous brackets etc and struts have been shot blasted, nickled or re- enamelled. (To be progressively refitted).

Both cam covers have been blasted and sprayed with black crackle finish paint, (these are yet to be fitted).

Best 5 alloys from 10, stripped, cleaned, tyres removed and expertly  re-enamelled. The Toyo tyres refitted. Centre Lancia logos replaced with new ones.

All wheel bolts have been stripped and re-chromed as well to finish the look!

The stainless "Powerflow" larger bore exhaust and 4-2-1 manifold from the other HPE has been renovated, and now looks like new. This will go on in due course. (That will free up some extra bhp hopefully, whilst not being overly loud).

Then on the 30th Jan, she took a trip down to Wesson Lancia near Exeter, where she had the majority of the rot taken out. (The front screen taken out, scuttle replaced, replacement tailgate glass fitted. Then both big areas have been re sprayed and internally wax oiled etc).

That has now been done. We are both very pleased with the result so far. (Not perfect as there is a "hidden nasty" rust spot within the LH door that will eventually require  surgery). However to do that, then the problem of blending resprayed panels emerges, along with the pin stripe that is continued down BOTH sides etc. The upshot of this is "wait and watch the small rust areas, then bite the bullet and respray the whole thing so it matches exactly then". To do all that at present is uneconomic use of time and money.

So in a nutshell by the end of Feb she hopefully could stand a "one yard test" apart from the LH door and the minor scrapes on the offside wheel arches etc.

Jobs still to be completed:

Door window glass to be replaced, as both are scratched.
Black window / door surrounds to be re enamelled. Someone has used hammerite on these and it looks ugg!
(At present I have stripped a complete set and supplied to Smart Carz of Chard for blasting, etching, high build priming and re satin painting. The rear opening windows will then be rebuilt and have the tack welds re-applied).
Nearside door will nead surgery or new skin at some point. Then glass and final rubber trim will be fitted. (Not urgent).
Engine bay to be cleaned up to a good standard, and painted / zinc'd parts re-assembled. (Later on).
Fit the restored stainless Powerflow exhaust system!

As you can imagine we have got quite attached to her. Here are some pictures to be going on with. Hope you like! Smiley

* IMG_0634.JPG (85.69 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1942 times.)

* IMG_0636.JPG (81.01 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1959 times.)

* IMG_0637.JPG (75.12 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2063 times.)

* IMG_0639.JPG (78.32 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1980 times.)

* IMG_0640.JPG (80.58 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2085 times.)

* IMG_0642.JPG (75.19 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1954 times.)

* IMG_0643.JPG (67.59 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1944 times.)

* IMG_0644.JPG (69.12 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1956 times.)

* IMG_0645.JPG (66.75 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1980 times.)

* IMG_0647.JPG (67.53 KB, 640x480 - viewed 3038 times.)

"Baldric - I have a cunning plan" (Oh - ah, maybe not)!
Hawk

England England

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 06:55:23 PM »

Wow - that looks great.

And reminds me, I really must get some tyres for my standard alloys so I can replace the aftermarket rims
MattNoVAT
Administrator
Legendary Member

France France

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »

I'm not a great lover of the HPE but that looks fantastic!

Amazing what TLC can do for a car!

Well done Chas

1981 2000 Coupe S2/FL
1976 1600 Coupe S1
2007 Ypsilon 1.3 Bi-Colori
slowe

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 11:20:55 PM »

Looks stunning
VXdeMayo

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 11:25:06 PM »

Dear All,
thanks guys, I appreciate your comments. I will post some more pics next week when the window trims come back form Smart Carz in Chard. Then once the window frames are rebuilt she will look really good I think.
Best,
Chas and Anne,
(VXdeMAYO). Smiley

TonyLanciaBeta
Administrator

England England

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »

Hi Chas
Looks amazing!

so glad it found a good home Smiley

Tony
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 11:39:52 PM by TonyLanciaBeta » Logged

Tony Harrison - Farnborough, Hants
1981 Beta Coupe 1600
1981 Beta Coupe 2L(being restored slowly)
2012 Ypsilon (daily)
rossocorsa
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 12:11:25 AM »

Amazing very jealous perhaps worth mentioning I came across someone who has new cloth for sale for both coupe and hpe vx very useful to have for the future
millieman

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 12:30:24 AM »

Looks the nuts.
lanciamad
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanciamad

England England

Marcus Robinson

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 09:46:47 PM »

Looks stunning Chas Smiley Great attention to detail stuff!

1982 - Lancia Beta HPE 2000ie http://www.betaboyz.myzen.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=472.0
1989 - Lancia Delta 16v integrale
1992 - Lancia Thema 2.0 16v Turbo
2001 - Honda Civic Type R EP3
WestonE
Legendary Member

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »

Chas

Great looking car well done.

RossoCorsa

I would like to know more about the fabric supplier as I would like to trim the Montecarlo seat in VX coupe fabric if I can find it

Eric
andybeta

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »

Not bad. Don't like the fog lights in the air dam. They look naff, sorry. Not keen on the steering wheel or wooden gear knob either. What happened to the originals? Given you seem to be trying to return it to OE spec why these after market items?

The stripe I do like.

Re the Zegna cloth Eric. I thought it had all gone? I met a chap about 6-7 years ago who had 6-7m of the last of the OE cloth. I think that was used to retrim a silver HPE ie whose reg I knew but now excapes me which is now sadly rather worse for wear last time I saw it. The Zegna cloth looked and felt good but it wasn't at all durable. It faded badly and easily wore through.

Andybeta
vancouver

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 04:00:41 AM »

Looks great - like the dam/lights, wheel and wood knob - nice adds
rossocorsa
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 09:03:50 AM »

Not bad. Don't like the fog lights in the air dam. They look naff, sorry. Not keen on the steering wheel or wooden gear knob either. What happened to the originals? Given you seem to be trying to return it to OE spec why these after market items?

The stripe I do like.

Re the Zegna cloth Eric. I thought it had all gone? I met a chap about 6-7 years ago who had 6-7m of the last of the OE cloth. I think that was used to retrim a silver HPE ie whose reg I knew but now excapes me which is now sadly rather worse for wear last time I saw it. The Zegna cloth looked and felt good but it wasn't at all durable. It faded badly and easily wore through.

Andybeta

I just bought 7 metres myself so there is still some around i agree it's not durable that's the reason i have bought some to stash away for the future. The fogs in the airdam are essential I don't think a VX looks complete without them
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:10:10 AM by rossocorsa » Logged
VXdeMayo

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 10:40:38 AM »

Dear Andybeta,
thanks for your comments regarding the front fog lamps, steering wheel and gear knob.

You are correct that I am trying to retain as much as possible "as original", and the VX as far as I know had provision for - if not came fitted with front fog lights. Certainly both our VX's have the loom manufactured with this in mind, and both had the correct switch in the console. Only one has a pair actually fitted, but that could be due to damage over the passage of time? So the fog lights are to my mind "Original" and as other members have commented on, essential with the poor quality of dipped main beam that Lancia provided! Perhaps someone can confirm this?

The original steering wheel and plastic gear knob are imho the two things that let down the later Beta interior. I know it's down to personal opinion but the wheel is dull, uninspiring and middle aged in look, and the gear "Knob" - well it looks like what it's called, horrid cheap and victim of the accountant's influence! I hope an Abarth wheel taken from an Integrale does not seem too out of place?
Also the additional benifit of a smaller wheel diameter is I can now see the clock for the first time! Super.
best,
Chas. Grin

Hawk

England England

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »

I really like that steering wheel - and I want one! 

What is it?  And do you know if it will fit an S2 Spyder?
rossocorsa
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 01:25:39 PM »

the fog lights were optional extras and are official, the ones that lancia supplied were carellos with the white plastic clip on covers 
VXdeMayo

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »

Dear all,
thanks for the info re the fog lamps. I am not sure whether these are Carrello items, but they looked of good quality and have a lovely "retro yellow" brightness when on! The wheel is a standard Abarth "Boomerang pattern" wheel that may have been fitted to several Italian sporting cars, my Fiat 128 3P had this one when we bought it, (but that was an "aftermarket fitment").
The boss pattern is a standard MOMO spec, ie 6 hole at 70mm PCD, so you will need a specific wheel boss for that as well. I liked the style because it was similar in shape to the original but slightly smaller and more sport specific. An homage maybe?
Looking forward to getting the door / window trims back from the sprayers this week.
best,
Chas,
(VXdeMAYO). Smiley

Hawk

England England

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 11:08:48 AM »

The wheel is a standard Abarth "Boomerang pattern" wheel that may have been fitted to several Italian sporting cars, my Fiat 128 3P had this one when we bought it, (but that was an "aftermarket fitment").
The boss pattern is a standard MOMO spec, ie 6 hole at 70mm PCD, so you will need a specific wheel boss for that as well. I liked the style because it was similar in shape to the original but slightly smaller and more sport specific. An homage maybe?

Thanks
targa2000

England England

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 09:44:32 PM »

Theres a boomerang steering wheel on e-bay,  no bids at the moment, seller reluctant to post though,collection only. Listed under "Classic Fiat steering wheel".
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 09:46:38 PM by targa2000 » Logged
steptoe

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »

here you go hawk, found this for you boss will fit beta spline.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-127-1050-SPORT-STEERING-WHEEL-/150793274485?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item231bfac475#ht_500wt_1204

hth

RUST RUST RUST
SQUEAK RATTLE SQUEAK
RUST RUST RUST
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: